Keeping pullets and hen cool

Gallinarium

Crowing
Apr 15, 2020
America
So it's getting up to eighty-something for the next two days here, and I was wondering: is there anything I should do to try and keep my pullets cool? And if so, what? The chickies are all heat-tolorant breeds, Leghorn, Minorca, etc, but I'm not sure that matters at exactly six weeks old. The hen, on the other hand, is a big fat crossbreed similar to an Orpington. But if worst comes to worse for her, I'll torture her with another bath :). She needs one anyway, and it's a good day for it. The chicks are being brooded by previously mentioned hen in a coop that gets pretty hot, but they have full access to a secure, covered, shaded run. With my older birds I used a paint pan as a wading pool, and hosed the outside of the coop. And I obviously need to make sure they always have fresh water, that's number one.
So yeah, thanks for reading!

It's too bad people won't share their general locations...SMH.
Makes a difference in advice given and situations clarified.

The humidity can make a huge difference....plus what you, and the birds, are used to.

I watch for behaviors, panting is OK, lifting wings is the next sign that they are struggling to keep cool....the clincher for me is if they won't move when a few treats are tossed out.
I almost lost a bird to heat stress/stroke a few years ago. She was stumbling and staggering around and couldn't see out of one eye. Some electrolytes saved her.
Convinced me to give them regularly, helps in very cold weather too.

Deep all day shade is best but....I don't have much of that.
This has worked very well to keep heat stress/stroke at bay:

I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full

I live in Wisconsin. We have high heat during the summer and low temps in the winter. I want it to be sixty degrees and sunny. EVERY DAY.

Heh - I moved to a location with an average annual temp of 68 degrees - the setting where my wife likes the AC. Of course, that means the temp varies throughout the year from low 20s to near 100, and the humidity...

But I'm taking @aart 's advice and making some freezer blocks for the hotter, most humid days.

Back
Top Bottom