Killer Muffins

lhousesoccer

Chirping
Feb 26, 2010
I feel horrible. Went into the coop the other day and found my Rainbow Dixie (8 months old) on its side unable to move. And a Dark Brahma unable to stand. For a few minutes I couldn't think of why they'd be in that sort of condition. Then I remembered my wife giving me a bag of about 15 stale chocolate chip muffins from the chest freezer, which I tossed into the chicken run instead of the compost bin. I wasn't really thinking, as there were other bread crusts, strawberry tops, some shredded lettuce ... the usual kitchen scraps I've been giving to my egg layers for 10 years.

I brought both into the basement in a hospital box with a heat lamp and medicated water but the Dixie died that night. The Brahma died the next night. My other two Dark Brahmas, two White Leghorns, one Barred Rock, and one other Rainbow Dixie are all still behaving normally with no sign up sickness.

I'm assuming it was the chocolate that did them in. There was no other indication that something else would affect two chickens that way. The others must not have consumed as many of the chocolate chips as these two did.

Last edited:
I feel horrible. Went into the coop the other day and found my Rainbow Dixie (8 months old) on it's side unable to move. And a Dark Brahma unable to stand. For a few minutes I couldn't think of why they'd be in that sort of condition. Then I remembered my wife giving me a bag of about 15 stale chocolate chip muffins from the chest freezer, which I tossed into the chicken run instead of the compost bin. I wasn't really thinking, as there were other brust crusts, strawberry tops, some shredded lettuce ... the usually kitchen scraps I've been giving to my egg layers for 10 years.

I brought both into the basement into a hospital box with a heat lamp and medicated water. The Dixie died that night. The Brahma died the next night. My other two Dark Brahmas, two White Leghorns, one Barred Rock, and one other Rainbow Dixie are all still behaving normally with no sign up sickness.

I'm assuming it was the chocolate that did them in. There was no other indication that something else would affect two chickens that way. The others must not have consumed as many of the chocolate chips as these two did.
Bummer,thats horrible....! Thank you for posting so us newb’s can learn from your mistakes....

I feel horrible. Went into the coop the other day and found my Rainbow Dixie (8 months old) on it's side unable to move. And a Dark Brahma unable to stand. For a few minutes I couldn't think of why they'd be in that sort of condition. Then I remembered my wife giving me a bag of about 15 stale chocolate chip muffins from the chest freezer, which I tossed into the chicken run instead of the compost bin. I wasn't really thinking, as there were other brust crusts, strawberry tops, some shredded lettuce ... the usually kitchen scraps I've been giving to my egg layers for 10 years.

I brought both into the basement into a hospital box with a heat lamp and medicated water. The Dixie died that night. The Brahma died the next night. My other two Dark Brahmas, two White Leghorns, one Barred Rock, and one other Rainbow Dixie are all still behaving normally with no sign up sickness.

Theobromine is toxic to chickens and it’s found in chocolate. I don’t know how much was in the chocolate chip muffins you gave them but 15 muffins is a lot especially if two ate more than their fair share. With that being said I have thrown plenty of foods with chocolate in them to the chickens without any issues.

Back
Top Bottom