Kinky back?

Heres2U_MrsR

Songster
May 21, 2020
Bunny is a 20 month old EE and as she developed it was apparent her frame and posture weren’t normal. She had more of the S-curve/twisted neck appearance and when she’s picked up her nervous system shorts out/she does an odd biting thing. Her feathering is also very different, and she over-preens like it’s a compulsion. She has always held herself close to the stance of an egg bound hen. She does lay, but it’s inconsistent(not since I’ve pulled her inside for treatment). In the past month it’s become super pronounced and I found that she was falling backwards, couldn’t perch, feet out in front, trouble getting up without flailing for traction. I’m using the normal protocol for wry neck, sling at night so she can rest comfortably, and using hypericum perforatum 30c(I toyed with the possibly of Mareks). She has improved some, but not enough that she could be with the flock. As you can imagine, she gets picked on some. I have a good couple of Wyandottes that are…jerks.

My questions are these - she exhibits no other signs of Mareks, eats heartily, drinks, walks around some, normal poop, normal coloring. Can I rule it out at this point?

If this is kinky back(I know there’s another name, but it escapes me right now), what’s her prognosis? She’s currently inside being spoiled rotten. I have a couple of special needs ladies, so living out her life there isn’t a problem.

*She has been treated for lice/mites, her neck curvature forces her to eat almost laying down. Often she will knock food onto the ground and eat it. I have also wondered about botulism.

*video linked

Thoughts?
Bunny walking

Attachments

• IMG_5352.jpeg
    IMG_5352.jpeg
    641.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5350.jpeg
    IMG_5350.jpeg
    681.3 KB · Views: 10
I haven’t had a chicken with this deformity of the spine, but it does look like it could be kinky back, roach back, which are spondylopathies. Here is a link to read:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...ctious-skeletal-disorders-in-poultry-broilers

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hunchbacked-chicken-injured-or-w-sketch.1184752/
Thank you for getting back to me. I’ll read up on these possibilities, but it doesn’t look like there’s much I can do. She seems comfy and eats like a horse for now.

Back
Top Bottom