Kitten Not Defecating

HeyHeyWW

Songster
Oct 9, 2017
Florida
I have a 4-week-old kitten who has not defecated since I got him 2 days ago. He doesn't seem sick or anything and is acting like a normal kitten should: active, playful, feeds on his milk 3-4 times a day, and takes naps when he should. I don't see him uncomfortable or anything... So I'm not sure if he's actually constipated or just doesn't have to poop? I have tried stimulating him to poop with a cloth, but nothing comes out. He has only urinated after every feeding. He's already litter box trained, so he knows where he needs to go to poop, he just doesn't.
So I'm not sure if I should just wait a little more... or just take him to the vet. Not sure if he's just not showing his discomfort, but I wouldn't want him to be uncomfortable for so long.

Warm soak in bath tub, & offering plain pureed pumpkin for added fiber will help relieve the constipation.

Dry the kitten with a hair dryer if you go the warm soaking route.

I had a kitten(My sister was given), that was fed the wrong formula, & ended up constipated.

He should absolutely have to poop. Try advertising locally to find someone with a nursing mother cat to foster him. That is 1000% your best route to take.

He's four weeks old and should be eating kitten food. He is too young to be without his mother, or at least a littermate or two, or a foster cat. Not because he needs mother's milk, but for his mental development. Orphan kittens need other cats!!!
What is he eating? Has he been to the vet's?
Mary

If you have a syringe you can inject a little warm soapy water into the rectum for an enema. Personally, I would get some glycerin infant suppositories and insert a piece. I have used these on a variety of animal babies with good effect.

I have a 4-week-old kitten who has not defecated since I got him 2 days ago. He doesn't seem sick or anything and is acting like a normal kitten should: active, playful, feeds on his milk 3-4 times a day, and takes naps when he should. I don't see him uncomfortable or anything... So I'm not sure if he's actually constipated or just doesn't have to poop? I have tried stimulating him to poop with a cloth, but nothing comes out. He has only urinated after every feeding. He's already litter box trained, so he knows where he needs to go to poop, he just doesn't.
So I'm not sure if I should just wait a little more... or just take him to the vet. Not sure if he's just not showing his discomfort, but I wouldn't want him to be uncomfortable for so long.
At four weeks old he should be eating solid foods in addition to his milk. You can get kitten food, either dry or canned (I would start with canned) or baby food. Get one of the all meat varieties.

Back
Top Bottom