La Flèche Birds

Sylvester017

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Nov 29, 2012
So. Calif.
@LaFleche -- you raise LaFleche? Does Germany have Breda? Greenfire Farms (USA) imported Breda a while ago but interest waned in the breed -- small gene pool. I knew of one USA breeder trying to introduce LaFleche to improve hardiness and breed back to Breda but there didn't seem to be any customer interest.

My understanding from research is that Dominiques and Breda were common poultry in our New England colonies but there's no pictorial record of their physical features -- so when Netherlands introduced their new Breda I was mesmerized by the Blue Bredas and so captivated by their calm nature I had 4 Blues and one Cuckoo. I never obtained a Mottled Breda since breeders said they were the most skittish of Breda they had raised.

I loved my B/B/S (Blues) Bredas but they were not hardy and all died under 2 years or earlier as juveniles.
DSCN6056.JPG

@LaFleche -- you raise LaFleche? Does Germany have Breda? Greenfire Farms (USA) imported Breda a while ago but interest waned in the breed -- small gene pool. I knew of one USA breeder trying to introduce LaFleche to improve hardiness and breed back to Breda but there didn't seem to be any customer interest.

My understanding from research is that Dominiques and Breda were common poultry in our New England colonies but there's no pictorial record of their physical features -- so when Netherlands introduced their new Breda I was mesmerized by the Blue Bredas and so captivated by their calm nature I had 4 Blues and one Cuckoo. I never obtained a Mottled Breda since breeders said they were the most skittish of Breda they had raised.

I loved my B/B/S (Blues) Bredas but they were not hardy and all died under 2 years or earlier as juveniles.
View attachment 3792661
Yes, I have been breeding La Flèche for quite a long time.

La Flèche are not for every one as they will not thrive being kept in aviaries or the usual rather small run and they need time to develop their full potential.
Nowadays, people rarely are able to provide the required space nor the necessary patience and time for this breed.

There is a breeders' association in Germany that also represents breeders of BREDA, here you go:

http://haubenhuehner-seltene-huehnerrassen.blogspot.com/p/der-sonderverein.html?m=1

Yes, I have been breeding La Flèche for quite a long time.

La Flèche are not for every one as they will not thrive being kept in aviaries or the usual rather small run and they need time to develop their full potential.
Thank you for your response :)

Yes, the breeder in the USA has 40 acres but since they were cross-breeding Breda w/La Fleche they had to be in breeding pens and it was not very successful for fertility.

I loved when Greenfire Farms imported Blue/Black/Splash Breda but the small gene pool caused health issues. Importing birds costs thousands of US dollars plus quarantine regulations -- so, with no interest developed here for Breda, Greenfire never imported more Breda to create a diverse breeding pool.

I hope the German rare breeds organization succeeds in preserving the Blue/Black/Splash Breda in Europe. They are a beautiful unusual bird with a great temperament.

Blue Breda
DSCN6019.JPG

Our Silkies felt safe around our calm Blue Breda
DSCN6150.JPG

However our Cuckoo Breda was a much larger bird
DSCN7730.JPG

DSCN7750.JPG

Our Cuckoo Breda was a hefty 7.5-lbs but bullied our 2-lb bantam Silkies so we re-homed her. She is a calm bird and this is her new home -- sharing a nap with the new dog.
char new home 4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom