Labored breathing in duckling?

PattyC2020

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2020
Central VA
Should I be concerned about the labored breathing that my duckling is doing? She's a 2 weeks old Welsh Harlequin from a hatchery. She was one of 10 that they sent us and the other 9 passed away in the first 3 days (talk about devastating!
😢
) I talked with the hatchery and they think something happened in transit that stressed/sickened them). She started breathing like this a few days ago. We received some chicks when she was a week old so we were advised to put her together with them for companionship. But then the chicks kept jumping in her (deeper) water dish so I went back to a quart waterer (the little dish that goes under the quart jar) - it's deeper than any I've seen but she mucks is up so fast I don't think she could stick her beak all the way in. So when she started having labored breathing I thought maybe that was the issue and got her deeper water dish (a cut up yogurt container) and made it so the chicks can't jump in. Sometimes she uses it but sometimes she doesn't (still have the other out for the chicks). The water has electrolytes in it and last week it also had probiotics in it,. She's still on chick starter (21%) w/ brewer's yeast added to it. I have to figure some way to get her lower protein next week... She's acting healthy otherwise, naps and eats/drinks/pokes around for other goodies.
But as far as her breathing, is this something to be concerned about? (I can't figure out how to post the video)

Yeah it seems that it’s just too warm for her. I turned it down and try to give her opportunities for a cool swim in the afternoon and she seems a little better. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Back
Top Bottom