lakenvelder problem

Zawisty

Songster
Apr 25, 2019
are lakenvelder or vorwerk needs special care or special broody environment
many times i got babe chicks, ( from different sources) all die, before reaching 3 weeks
in general, 24 chicks only 3 pass that age and still alive ( 12 weeks now)
they suddenly got sick and death occure in few hours، sometimes death without any sickness or symptom less

Last edited:
To my knowledge I've never heard they need anything other than normal chick brooding environment.

I can say, having gone through something similar with Isbars, that some of the rarer breeds seem to have too much inbreeding genetics making for unthrifty birds. I saw that in the Cream Legbar lines as well.

Check with your sources as to how well their lines are doing.

Obviously do a double check on your artificial brooding set up to make sure all is well and clean.

My thoughts.
LofMc

To my knowledge I've never heard they need anything other than normal chick brooding environment.

I can say, having gone through something similar with Isbars, that some of the rarer breeds seem to have too much inbreeding genetics making for unthrifty birds. I saw that in the Cream Legbar lines as well.

Check with your sources as to how well their lines are doing.

Obviously do a double check on your artificial brooding set up to make sure all is well and clean.

My thoughts.
LofMc
I was talking with a Vorwerk breeder that said that it is pretty common for the Vorwerks from GFF to be hard to keep alive. (But she didn't have that issue. Though could be common in the same breed from other sources too. But I don't KNOW that.) I agree with the inbreeding and unthrifty birds. It is common to lose vigor, especially when it isn't bred/chosen for. Happens with other species too when there is a lot on in/ close line breeding.

My Lakenvelder chicks from Heartland Hatchery have all been very healthy and active. My problem has been they seem to be a favorite of black snakes 😩 Every tone I think I have them blocked they seem to find a new way to get to my littles!

Back
Top Bottom