Lame on 'egg-days' (not egg-bound)

FeatherCrest

Chirping
Oct 31, 2019
Netherlands
My 3-year old hen has developed a lameness on days when she is laying eggs. It is worse before the egg is out of her, but the issue persists even after she has laid an egg. The next day, she is totally fine. And then a few days later: same story. She bumbles a bit, tries to avoid using her left leg, and mostly stands or sits in the same spot.

Her vent looks fine, she has recently been de-wormded and her poop is perfect (although she squats deeper than usual pooping), she hasn't lost any weight, no bumblefoot, no mites/lice whatsoever. It does seem that her bum is slightly lower than usual, as if she is very near laying an egg, also when she is done for the day. I read that maybe it would be the egg blockig some muscles, how would I go about treating that? Any tips would be very welcome!

Last edited:
The eggs may be pushing against the sciatic nerves in one or both legs making it hard for her to walk. Are her eggs normal or oversize? Make sure that she is getting enough calcium and vitamin d in her diet (offering layer feed and having crushed oyster shell available in a separate container.)

Thanks for this suggestion! Pushing against the nerves, I had not thought of that. That does not seem like something I can help her with, right? Chicken massage?

Her eggs have always been quite small, and this has not changed. We regularly add vitamins to their water and there is always oyster shell, so I am not sure what else I can do.

Back
Top Bottom