Large breed dog siblings inherited from a friend, how to handle heat cycle

Sounds like Littermate Syndrome. There's a lot of articles online that you may find helpful. Tips and tricks to help them become more confident when separated.

For anxiety, I really like the product Rescue Remedy. It's a natural product and it has worked well for me each time I have used it on an animal. I don't know if it would be a long-term solution, but it may help get through some of the early training until they can become more confident and better at dealing with the separation.

There's also an essential oil mix called calm-a-mile that's made just for animals. I'm not a believer in the idea that essential oils can be used to cure everything, but I have had success with this mixture. It helped my dog with fear of thunderstorms and fireworks. Used it on her during a few storms and eventually she didn't need it anymore. I used this until I found Rescue Remedy, but the positive to the calm-a-mile is you could use it in a diffuser to cover a whole room for a longer period of time.

I don't blame you and your husband for being at your wits' end. Sounds like a frustrating ordeal for everyone. If things don't work out and you have to rehome them, just remember that you tried your best and you shouldn't feel so guilty about it. Good luck!
Whew, thank you. Yes. Some days I feel more guilty keeping them than I would rehoming them, with how aggravated I've been by them lately.
No matter how much research one does, you never really know how you'll handle it in the moment. I read all about the periods where they will test ALL the boundaries.
Boy do they.
Part of being two hormonal dogs growing up at the same time.
And I thought it would be a learning opportunity for me and my family, but I'm realizing I am not handling it like a learning opportunity I am handling it like it's a problem
I just don't have the time to deal with it; I'm trying to prep for homeschool year three for my son and year one for my daughter, but it seems like there's a lot of doggy disruption going on. I'm home almost all the time and they are taking over my life with all the work they require. Finding out the hard way that rather high strung dogs can drain a person.

Thank you. The son has an advanced form of leukemia. He's just 18.
Duke is definitely the one reacting to the fact that his sister is in heat. She isn't acting any different really. Content to lay down in the crate or walk on the leash with my son (her boy) to go to the bathroom. We have a dog gate that divides one half of the house from the other, so she does get to be out of the crate when I can take Duke and get him focused on training or she has the run of the house when I take Duke with me while I tend the garden.
The main brunt of the issue is all the noise Duke is making over the matter.
Duke can be anxious sometimes, but this is on another level 😬
oye, you have your hand full.
Rescue Remedy, Bach's Flower Remedies.
It can be purchased at health food stores, or online. A while back I saw walmart offering an alcohol free version in the pet aisle.

Do you have a garage?
Although it does not seem fair, but crate the boy there, with a few closed doors between him and you?
And the situation would drive my husband bonkers, and he is not atypical.....
Make sure you have chocolate handy for the bubble bath when it is all over.
On the upside, this only lasts about 2 weeks.

having the pair fixed was my first thought, but seeing they are babies.....
I would seek professional advice though on his separation anxiety. You probably want to get a handle on that - unless he is the one going back to the other family.

oye, you have your hand full.
Rescue Remedy, Bach's Flower Remedies.
It can be purchased at health food stores, or online. A while back I saw walmart offering an alcohol free version in the pet aisle.

Do you have a garage?
Although it does not seem fair, but crate the boy there, with a few closed doors between him and you?
And the situation would drive my husband bonkers, and he is not atypical.....
Make sure you have chocolate handy for the bubble bath when it is all over.
On the upside, this only lasts about 2 weeks.

having the pair fixed was my first thought, but seeing they are babies.....
I would seek professional advice though on his separation anxiety. You probably want to get a handle on that - unless he is the one going back to the other family.
I did not mention in the original post. The other family moved halfway across the country shortly after we took them in, so the son who is terminally ill can be closer to grandparents and other family. They could only find apartments that were no pets allowed when they decided to move. So while they would probably love to have the dogs back, returning one or both is not an option. I feel like the best move for the dogs and my family is to stick things out until the hormones subside and if things are still overwhelming, seek help rehoming them. They're typically pretty good dogs with smatterings of frustration but it's been a hectic couple of weeks so far.

I did not mention in the original post. The other family moved halfway across the country shortly after we took them in, so the son who is terminally ill can be closer to grandparents and other family. They could only find apartments that were no pets allowed when they decided to move. So while they would probably love to have the dogs back, returning one or both is not an option. I feel like the best move for the dogs and my family is to stick things out until the hormones subside and if things are still overwhelming, seek help rehoming them. They're typically pretty good dogs with smatterings of frustration but it's been a hectic couple of weeks so far.
Should mention that yes they are scheduled for spay and neuter closer to their birthday in October.

It's sounds like you have an awful lot on your plate already without taking on these two dogs as well. Puppies are almost always trying, two puppies are even worse, two sibling puppies can be quite exasperating at times. Hopefully things will get better once you get them neutered. But if not, I don't think you should feel obliged to keep them just because they came from a family member. It may be better for all concerned if you did rehome them. No need to feel guilty about it, at all!

Most importantly be very, VERY, careful with your children around the dogs during this time, as they can become uncharacteristically aggressive during seasons and with the male already stressed out, both of them being in a new home... it only takes a second for a large dog to injure a small child.

I just want to say thank you all for helping me figure this all out, I will be trying the suggestions!
I can't try the dog crate in the garage, as it is a south facing, uninsulated space that gets very hot... And it's got hubby's project truck and my project car hoggin all the space.

We have been having them take turns in different spaces. She likes the dog crate, so she sleeps in it at night. He tries to cry about it no matter what the situation is. He spends time in it during the day while I clean the house. If he can't be wit sis, he's trying to get in my bubble and I can't do anything. So in the crate he goes.

While I clean, Everest and my son are out back on the porch that has access to the dog run.
Then Duke will be outside in our run/porch area with me as I write up school assignments while Everest is in the house.
I've taken Duke up to the neighbors where their best dog buddy lives. he ran around with his pal Leela (a spayed older dog that keeps him in his place) for a few hours. I got a break from the anxious energy. I am very anxious myself and he's driving my blood pressure and stress levels up.
I will probably take Everest over there too to give her a play date. Duke and Everest play together and keep each other busy most of the time, when she is not in heat. but Duke only has one thought in his mind right now, naturally.

Everest really was not into the attention Duke tried to give her when this all started. she snapped angrily at him and plopped her butt down. I swear she rolled her eyes at him.

BTW, Rescue Remedy works on people, too! That was the first application, animals came second. I read it works on plants, too.
I see that returning the pups isn't a viable option, definitely for the nearest future.
Hopefully, he will settle in soon. And getting neutered does worlds for their mental state.

BTW, Rescue Remedy works on people, too! That was the first application, animals came second. I read it works on plants, too.
I see that returning the pups isn't a viable option, definitely for the nearest future.
Hopefully, he will settle in soon. And getting neutered does worlds for their mental state.
Well hey if it works on people and plants as well as animals, it would be very useful here. I'm an avid gardener, haha. My side garden looks a bit like a jungle!

The good thing is dogs only go into heat twice a year, instead of monthly like many other mammals. Or practically 24/7 like cats. :lol: So you just need to get through the next week or so if they'll be fixed in October. You can do it! :thumbsup
I am figuring it out, this morning was in tears because Duke is so noisy at night. Had a nap earlier. Got much needed sleep. Over the weekends I've been night caring for my elderly friend who broke her foot. Not a big job. Just helping her get to the bathroom and cooking meals. It's nice and quiet at her house, but she needs to use the restroom multiple times a night and take pain meds. She can not walk until her foot heals. So I am low on sleep lately

Back
Top Bottom