large cochin strange symptoms suddenly

Sep 2, 2022
Central Alabama
I noticed my cochin on the ground panting at dusk. Normally, even though large and heavy, she makes her way to the top roost. She tried but was unable to climb the stairs. I put her on the bottom roost, and she kind of sprawled out and stayed there, panting. So i picked her up to bring her inside, and as i was carrying her i noticed her front under her beak was wet. I leaned down to look, and a lot of fluid spilled out of her mouth. I leaned her over (not completely upside down but leaned forward) and more water spilled out. I have her inside on my lap, she seems comfortable, but when i put her on the ground she cant stand up. I fed her a blueberry and she ate it quickly. Any advice? Thank you!

When was her last egg?
Is she pooping?

Provide her with cool water and if she's not laid her egg, I'd give 1 Calcium Citrate with D3 now and then again in the morning.

Re-check her crop first thing in the morning to make sure it's emptied overnight.

When was her last egg?
Is she pooping?

Provide her with cool water and if she's not laid her egg, I'd give 1 Calcium Citrate with D3 now and then again in the morning.

Re-check her crop first thing in the morning to make sure it's emptied overnight.
Thank you, I actually don’t know when she laid last. She seemed to drop a soft egg a week or two ago from the roost, but before I could inspect it, the hens ran over and ate it. I increased the amount of oyster shells available in case it was due to that. I put her on the lower roost and she is still kind of sprawled out, but staying on. I’m not sure about the last time she has pooped either. I do spend time with the flock daily, but guess I need to take note of who is laying and other things. I’ll run to the store in the morning for the calcium citrate. I thought I might clean around her vent area as there was a small amount a whitish substance with a sour odor. Thank you for the help.

Back
Top Bottom