Lash egg in water bowl

Winniethesilkie

Chirping
Oct 9, 2022
Wyoming
Went to give the girls snacks this afternoon and found a lash egg in the water bowl (of course)... no idea who it came from out of my 12 hens. One barred rock has a pale comb but everyones acting normal.

Do I need to put antibiotics in the water for all hens? We just cleaned the coop and nest boxes today, not sure what else to do.

Do you have a picture of it, and have you cut it in half to show the inside? Antibiotics should not be used on all chickens. Salpingitis, the cause of lash eggs, can be due to bacterial infection of E.coli or a few other bacteria. The articles I have read say that by the time one notices lash material, which is hardly ever seen, it may be too late for antibiotics. But some use amoxicillin or something like enrofloxacin to hopefully extend life. I just would not use those on all chickens or you will be tossing a lot of eggs for weeks to come. Nor is it healthy to give antibiotics without a reason.

Do you have a picture of it, and have you cut it in half to show the inside? Antibiotics should not be used on all chickens. Salpingitis, the cause of lash eggs, can be due to bacterial infection of E.coli or a few other bacteria. The articles I have read say that by the time one notices lash material, which is hardly ever seen, it may be too late for antibiotics. But some use amoxicillin or something like enrofloxacin to hopefully extend life. I just would not use those on all chickens or you will be tossing a lot of eggs for weeks to come. Nor is it healthy to give antibiotics without a reason.

Attachments

• 20240121_163929.jpg
    20240121_163929.jpg
    852.9 KB · Views: 15
They should not get sick. It seems gross, but they would normally peck at them, and that may be why we don’t always find them. Nest boxes are where some are seen.
Thank you!! I was so worried. I will just be extra clean and watch behaviors. Chickens are disgusting, it amazes me how many people kiss and cuddle them 🤣 absolutely love all of mine though. Even the mean one 😉

Back
Top Bottom