Last hope

mamamama124

Chirping
Apr 19, 2018
Texas
Little Bit the Buff Orpington is in poor shape and there's not a vet within 2 hours of me that will handle chickens. So frustrating.

Backstory -- she was presenting with really runny poop about 3 weeks ago. Messy backside/vent. Acting normal otherwise -- wandering, scratching, eating (just not sunflower seeds). I treated for worms and coccid with Safeguard (1 pea dose) and Corid (5 days mixed in waterer - refreshed daily). She cleared up and by day 7 appeared normal. Backside dried up - just haven't had a chance to wash her because of the weather. Didn't want to win the poop war and lose to pneumonia. Yesterday she took a turn and now squirts water from her vent and generally seems to be going down hill. We only have 3 chickens - they're pets. She's the only one showing any of this. Without a vet that will help, I'm about to throw the kitchen sink at her in a last ditch effort to save her. Would really appreciate any advice...

• Wormer -- should I retreat with safeguard or switch to ivermectin (I have the injectable kind)
  • Coccid -- I can set her up on another round of Corid just in case
  • Antibiotic -- like I said, I pretty much have nothing to lose - I can get my hands on Tylan 50 and LA 200. Which one would you recommend and dosage?
I can't give up without a fight. These birbs sure are easy to get attached to.

Thanks ya'll.

Crop feels normal. They're on Purina Home Grown Crumbles. They get let out in the evening to wander a bit while I tend goats. Maybe they get a handful of sunflower seeds tossed in the grass (if the goats will leave them alone long enough to eat).

Crop feels normal. They're on Purina Home Grown Crumbles. They get let out in the evening to wander a bit while I tend goats. Maybe they get a handful of sunflower seeds tossed in the grass (if the goats will leave them alone long enough to eat).
She could have an infection or somethings messing with her digestion. I'd try some probiotics first and then the antibiotics.
What color are the poops?

She could have an infection or somethings messing with her digestion. I'd try some probiotics first and then the antibiotics.
What color are the poops?
Good point on the probios -- I hit her with some the same day I gave her the Safeguard - I forgot about that. Poops are clear water squirting out...

Good point on the probios -- I hit her with some the same day I gave her the Safeguard - I forgot about that. Poops are clear water squirting out...
Hmm, that's good as it doesn't indicate an infection I think, green usually means a lack of nutrition or a infection, brown means a crop or digestion issue.
You can give her Gatorade or sugar water to perk her up,she might be suffering from dehydrates

Stop any treats and control her diet. continue with the probiotics. keep checking her crop. something is definitely out of balance in her digestive system.

Back
Top Bottom