Late hatch chick - Day 21 no external pip

Titantherooster

Songster
Jul 9, 2020
Hey all, I’ve got a single chick egg that had been initially incubating with duck eggs and now moved to its separate incubator. Lockdown was 3 days ago and no sign of external pip. I did remove to candle and sure enough I felt her moving around inside the egg, hopefully internally pipping. I quickly put the egg back in but when I candled it seemed to me the air cell was not very large. I’m used to duck eggs though so perhaps it was fine.

How long would someone wait before checking again and potentially creating the external pip for the chick if it’s alive but does r seem to be able to make it?

When it was with the duck egg humidity was between 50-55%and I’ve raised it to mid 60s and dropped temp to 98.5 after putting in to lockdown.

Lots of things can cause that. Most of those actually happen long before day 21.
Among them are:
1. Inadequate turning, resulting in decreased embryonic membrane development and nutrient absorption. 2. Humidity too high during incubation or after transfer. 3. Incubator temperature too low. 4. Hatcher temperature too high. 5. Eggs chilled (e.g., at transfer). 6. Nutritional deficiencies. 7. Heredity. 8. Embryological development accident. 9. Breeder diseases. 10. Inadequate ventilation. 11. Prolonged egg storage
Never ignore breeder nutrition.

Back
Top Bottom