Latest Swap Meet magic.

frenchblackcopper

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 14, 2009
East central Illinois
You have heard the saying "What happens in Vegas,stays in Vegas?" Well what happens at Swap Meets needs to be spread around like manure and let the whole world know ASAP.I stayed up all nite watching the radar and time.Kankakee Tri-K Pigeon Club swap meet was this morning starting at 5am..I had a few birds and peachicks I wanted to find homes for but didn't want to go up there if it was going to pour down rain,finally decided at 1am if I was going I'd better start catching and loading birds.
There was 3 other guys there selling peacocks and peachicks.Of course none of us knew each other and it's always wise to know what your competition is asking for their birds,so I struck out on a few quick fact finding trips.
First guy had 6 IB B/S peachicks,,he said they were all sold,and he got $25 each outta them but that was too cheep he said because he said along with being black shoulder they also was a new mutation to peacocks because they will also have barred feathers everywhere they don't have black,thus a two patterned peacock.This old boy had done his homework,,showing me the two toned rusty back feathers with the apparent black pigment growing. He said these feathers would be both rust and black and the black will stop,, leaving the feather looking barred when an adult.A B/S Barred Black Blue is what he had thought of for a "kind" for these chicks.
Another AARP full member down the row had several IB and a few IB Pieds.Asked him his price and after telling me his life story said the IB birds was $100 each and the IB Pied male was $250.Said they all was proven breeders,,so I asked him how old they were and he said they just turned 1 year old last week.
And the last guy almost made me seek out Incontinence underwear.I don't know who taught him this trick nor how long he had practiced it but his act was worth an encore performance.He has 2 IB looking chicks and a silver pied chick plus 1 white chick From the looks of them they looked mid May hatched peas all about 12" tall.He had a pretty good sized crowd gathered as he showed everyone there how to sex these 4 peachicks.First tho he asks you what sex of peachicks your wanting,,when I was there a guy and his wife just lost a young male and was wanting to replace it.
So,he digs into his pocket and pulls out a kitchen string about 18" long with 2 3/8" nuts tied on the bottom.He then holds this right over the peachicks back. If the string starts moving from head to tail,it's a male,,if the string moves wing to wing it's a hen.I paid close attention to his hand,and wouldn't you know it the string started swinging head to tail. Course while everyone is looking down at the two bolts tied to the bottom of the string his hand starts moving just a little bit to get the string moving in the direction he's wanting it to go.I'm 100% positive the bird was an IB hen,,it's so easy to tell after about 6 weeks because looking at both sexes across their backs the hens will be noticably darker with the barring first disappearing between the wings on top of the back. And of course this couple got their money out and bought the bird for $75 since it was a sexed bird.

Step right up, step right up folks...for just one thin dime you can see a rare peacock brought directly from the wild Himalayas that can play Bach sonatas on a violin while juggling blueberries with its beak...

Man, that is crazy!! I wish I knew where a swap was though! I need some Black Shoulder females- 2 that will be 2 or are older and some pied hens. Anyone know where there would be one in South Carolina?

Back
Top Bottom