Lavender Araucana pullet sneezing, clear discharge from nostril, open mouth breathing - otherwise okay.

gengargirl

Chirping
May 11, 2021
Hi all,

So I received two Araucana pullets the other day. After getting them home I noticed the lavender pullet was sneeze/coughing on and off (the other was not). I bought some Triple C antibiotic ( https://www.planetpoultry.com.au/healthcare/68-triple-c-vetafarm.html) and have been putting it in a dish with some water for them all, just in case any of the others are sick but not showing. The pullet in question seemed okay yesterday and I let them out to free-range for an hour or two (supervised) and she was quite happy to peck around and enjoy herself. However today (and it is cold and windy) she's mostly kept to the coop. I syringed the triple C into her beak today and added the rest to their water and noticed she's not sneezing or coughing as much but does have a little clear fluid coming from her nostrils. I bought some oregano plants and she has been into them. I want to help them as much as I can as it doesn't appear to warrant a vet trip just yet as she seems okay otherwise. But I thought I would ask on here as you all seem more knowledgeable. The other chickens are not sick (or at least don't seem to be) whatsoever.

How is she doing?
I ended up taking her to the vet and got some oxytetracycline hydrochloride medicine. She’s isolated in a big dog cage in the laundry and already seems to be doing a lot better. She’s still sneezing a bit and open mouth breathing here and there but isn’t wheezing or as noisy. This morning (I live in Australia) was the first time she woke up with her tail right up and was clicking away in the laundry. She’s having a nap in her nice fresh cage now and seems very keen to join her other sisters (who are all good!)

thank you for asking ♥️

I ended up taking her to the vet and got some oxytetracycline hydrochloride medicine. She’s isolated in a big dog cage in the laundry and already seems to be doing a lot better. She’s still sneezing a bit and open mouth breathing here and there but isn’t wheezing or as noisy. This morning (I live in Australia) was the first time she woke up with her tail right up and was clicking away in the laundry. She’s having a nap in her nice fresh cage now and seems very keen to join her other sisters (who are all good!)

thank you for asking ♥️
Hi just wondering if you knew of a with holding period for the eggs with the triple c (I too am in aus).

Awesome thanks so much…. So long as I know I’m not wasting the eggs for no reason… they should be right to give the dogs tho right? Lol
Not 100% sure about feeding to other animals. If you garden though you can bury them with plants and give your plants some nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom