Layer vs all flock?

I have nine hens and a rooster (an accidental rooster!). Currently they’re all eating layer feed but I was wondering if mixing the layer/flock raiser might work? I have a dish of oyster shell but not sure if they care much for it or not. I want Kevin the rooster to get good nutrition but I also want the ladies to get enough calcium.

I have nine hens and a rooster (an accidental rooster!). Currently they’re all eating layer feed but I was wondering if mixing the layer/flock raiser might work? I have a dish of oyster shell but not sure if they care much for it or not. I want Kevin the rooster to get good nutrition but I also want the ladies to get enough calcium.
With time I've found that some people feed both. In which case the roosters usually eat the all flock vs the layer. I ended up giving mine meat bird and all flock with crushed oyster on the side at all times. But normally they don't touch it. I get the meat bird for my ducks and silkies because they need high protein, and it has 24%. I also have turkeys and they seem to eat both. But I avoid layer for them.

Back
Top Bottom