Laying from the roost at night

I was attempting to inquire about this exact issue when I found this thread. In May of last year I received my shipment of 18 day old chicks, two of which were my Roos. I have since had to get rid of the Beta Roo.
I still have all 16 of my pullets. They have a coop that is 9’x13’ inside a 40’x40’ run with an automatic door opening about sunrise into the run. In the coop, I have roosts at 2’ & 4’. Most of my hens roost at 4’. I temporarily pulled my cockerel from the coop because he was causing feather damage to the girls. Since then I have noticed about once a week an egg below the highest roosting bar but haven’t been able to identify which of my pullets are dropping this. They usually have no problems laying in their nesting boxes, of which I have 6 that are about 2’ high & are 1’ square.
I am completely confused why a hen would lay an egg at night. :idunno

I was attempting to inquire about this exact issue when I found this thread. In May of last year I received my shipment of 18 day old chicks, two of which were my Roos. I have since had to get rid of the Beta Roo.
I still have all 16 of my pullets. They have a coop that is 9’x13’ inside a 40’x40’ run with an automatic door opening about sunrise into the run. In the coop, I have roosts at 2’ & 4’. Most of my hens roost at 4’. I temporarily pulled my cockerel from the coop because he was causing feather damage to the girls. Since then I have noticed about once a week an egg below the highest roosting bar but haven’t been able to identify which of my pullets are dropping this. They usually have no problems laying in their nesting boxes, of which I have 6 that are about 2’ high & are 1’ square.
I am completely confused why a hen would lay an egg at night. :idunno
It is strange. After creating this post, my confused girl hasn't done it again since! So, I really have no idea. Maybe it was an odd winter time event. I am still getting the sandpaper shell egg. But not from the roost anymore.

It is strange. After creating this post, my confused girl hasn't done it again since! So, I really have no idea. Maybe it was an odd winter time event. I am still getting the sandpaper shell egg. But not from the roost anymore.
I just checked the coop at about 10:30 & had an egg under the roost. Granted, the last time I went out was just before 5pm.

I just checked the coop at about 10:30 & had an egg under the roost. Granted, the last time I went out was just before 5pm.
Poor confused girl. I have seen one of my girls lay an egg on a low perch in front of the nesting boxes. I feel like she was being stubborn about which box she wanted to lay in and her preferred one was occupied. She waited too long, and boop--there it is! I just don't know--chickens are strage birds.

Mine have found the corner of the coop to be the best spot to lay.
I hope your girls can figure out not to lay on the roosts.

Back
Top Bottom