Learning about Indian ringneck birds

Phocyn

Chirping
Apr 27, 2019
I recently took in a indian ringneck. I'd like to learn more about them outside of the books I read. Do they really eat cockatiel seed? Or would a larger size be better? I feed pellets as part of their diet.

His name is Jade btw.

I'm not finding answers with my parrot group so hoping for help here.

20200926_165249.jpg

I'm happy to help :)

There's a lot of misinformation regarding parrot diets, especially from older sources.
Their main diet should actually be fresh vegetables, not seeds. Seeds should be reserved as treats.

I feed all my parrots veggie chop, which includes chopped up vegetables, legumes and grains. I make this in large batches and freeze it in small portion sizes.
IMG_20190923_213844 (1).jpg

Chop is always my go to first thing in themorning. I'm looking for more information about an appropriate seed mix for Jade Boy because he always seems to be eating something. I also provide roudybush pellets, chicken, eggs, fruit, veggies, greens, grains, some seed like proso or sunflower or pumpkin, flowers that are bird safe, an herb chop topped with shaved cuttlefish bone, and sprouted seeds.

I do offer avicakes and nutriberries.

Your chop looks great, btw.

Chop is always my go to first thing in themorning. I'm looking for more information about an appropriate seed mix for Jade Boy because he always seems to be eating something. I also provide roudybush pellets, chicken, eggs, fruit, veggies, greens, grains, some seed like proso or sunflower or pumpkin, flowers that are bird safe, an herb chop topped with shaved cuttlefish bone, and sprouted seeds.

I do offer avicakes and nutriberries.

Your chop looks great, btw.

Sorry for the really late reply. If your giving pellets and chop, you don't need to provide a seed mix. I give pellets and chop to my birds and reserve seeds and fruit for treats for training.

Thanks for the info. My vet has Jade on a weight gain plan because his previous diet, while good, didn't meet all his needs. Avi-cakes are a frequent addition for him.

Back
Top Bottom