Leave alone or help chick hatch

Dec 2, 2020
Pip was about 48 hours ago. Zipping about 24 hours.

Had some trouble with the incubator, 4 others have hatched without assistance.

The chick is moving. Some progress in the last 8 hours. But not much.

Attachments

• 3A40E9C8-24F0-416F-8B80-E18115CC5C71.jpeg
    3A40E9C8-24F0-416F-8B80-E18115CC5C71.jpeg
    302.7 KB · Views: 26
Can you peel just the shell along the zip line, leave the membrane attached, and moisten the membrane with coconut oil until the membrane looks translucent. Then check back in an hour to see how it's doing.

I moistened it yesterday and the chick came out. Unfortunately the 4 day-old chicks really got after her yolk sac. Had a lot of blood. I moved them out and this chick seems to be doing fairly well and was moving about this morning.

The chick is doing pretty well. Walking around. It is lonely. Checking corners of the incubator for others.​
I put the other 4 with a hen who hatched 6 eggs for me 2 weeks ago. She shooed them under her quick in the near dark. Thankfully it is quite warm and she has them out and about today. One snuck in with a bantam GLW rooster I have Separated. He completely ignored it.​
Only 5 out of 13 eggs hatched in the incubator. I kept it in too hot of room per little giant. Good learning experience.​

I moistened it yesterday and the chick came out. Unfortunately the 4 day-old chicks really got after her yolk sac. Had a lot of blood. I moved them out and this chick seems to be doing fairly well and was moving about this morning.
Don't forget that newly-hatched chicks can survive on their yolk sac nutrition for up to 48 hours (some sources say up to 72 hours, max), so the other chicks were probably very hungry if they were still in the incubator with your late hatcher. I typically move hatchlings to the brooder once they're dry and fluffy so they can immediately begin eating and drinking, which also prevents more active chicks from bothering slower hatchers.

Best wishes for your chick - it seems like a fighter.

Don't forget that newly-hatched chicks can survive on their yolk sac nutrition for up to 48 hours (some sources say up to 72 hours, max), so the other chicks were probably very hungry if they were still in the incubator with your late hatcher. I typically move hatchlings to the brooder once they're dry and fluffy so they can immediately begin eating and drinking, which also prevents more active chicks from bothering slower hatchers.

Best wishes for your chick - it seems like a fighter.

She was a bit sleepy this morning. I put chick feed and a small water dish in with her and went to see about some Bison.

She was dead when I returned. She had some extra (I think) blood around the yolk sack/body connection.

I learned quite a bit during this hatch.

In particular, I like it when a broody hen takes care of everything.

My condolences on her passing - losing a yolk like that would be a significant setback for a chick. :hugs

Sometimes there are difficult/sad/puzzling experiences with hatching poultry, but it's good that you appreciate even the tough experiences as a learning opportunity. I've had broodies hatch eggs, too, and enjoyed the process - but I still prefer the control of hatching the eggs, myself.

Hang in there, and keep incubating if there's still joy in it for you. If you like to learn, you'll definitely learn a lot doing it.

Back
Top Bottom