Leg Band for Ducks?

quackkquack_

Songster
Jun 30, 2022
So I've been doing research on some leg bands for ducks but I've seen a lot of people say some don't work and break and some do work and etc. etc.
I know its a little early to start deciding where to get leg bands but I want to be prepared because once my ducks are ready to go, I need the leg bands since there are two houses around the pond in our backyard (huge pond, all the houses surround it) and they have been feeding and hogging all the ducks that live here (don't wanna be that person but... we were the first ones to ever feed them..) and this new guy who has all the ducks living in his backyard although he just moved here and they aren't his ducks to begin with but anyway. (Kind of just ranting at this point lol)
Reason why I need leg bands and need to find leg bands that wont fall off no matter what (in the water, in rain/snow, etc. etc.) because I don't need anyone taking my call ducks because we did have someone steal some ducks and their ducklings and we haven't seen them since and have no clue what they did with them.

Where would be the best place to find leg bands for call ducks? And preferably some with color or pretty because I like to make things colorful lol.

So I've been doing research on some leg bands for ducks but I've seen a lot of people say some don't work and break and some do work and etc. etc.
I know its a little early to start deciding where to get leg bands but I want to be prepared because once my ducks are ready to go, I need the leg bands since there are two houses around the pond in our backyard (huge pond, all the houses surround it) and they have been feeding and hogging all the ducks that live here (don't wanna be that person but... we were the first ones to ever feed them..) and this new guy who has all the ducks living in his backyard although he just moved here and they aren't his ducks to begin with but anyway. (Kind of just ranting at this point lol)
Reason why I need leg bands and need to find leg bands that wont fall off no matter what (in the water, in rain/snow, etc. etc.) because I don't need anyone taking my call ducks because we did have someone steal some ducks and their ducklings and we haven't seen them since and have no clue what they did with them.

Where would be the best place to find leg bands for call ducks? And preferably some with color or pretty because I like to make things colorful lol.
I use Avian ID bands. https://www.avianid.co.uk/
They're inexpensive, well made, have a HUGE variety, you can do a small order, and can be customized.
But, they're out of the UK, so they take about a month to arrive. I always do a large order in January or February so they can make it here before breeding season. My ducks are usually ready to be banded at three weeks old, but I use seamless bands so they need to be put on before the leg gets too big.
You can get split bands, but they're not as strong and can be pulled off.

Sounds like a nightmare scenario......doubt leg bands will stop a thief.
Same. I've planned on letting everyone in the neighborhood know once I get ready to let the ducks go. They'll be coming back at night but I'll be letting them roam the pond in the day.

I use Avian ID bands. https://www.avianid.co.uk/
They're inexpensive, well made, have a HUGE variety, you can do a small order, and can be customized.
But, they're out of the UK, so they take about a month to arrive. I always do a large order in January or February so they can make it here before breeding season. My ducks are usually ready to be banded at three weeks old, but I use seamless bands so they need to be put on before the leg gets too big.
You can get split bands, but they're not as strong and can be pulled off.
Could zip ties also work? I've seen people use them but would they be able to stay on during harsh environments (like storms) and not get caught on anything?

EDIT:
Also I found a company that will put a tag with information on the leg band and I'd prefer to do that. Do you think the tag would get caught on something? (Since they will be in the pond and could possibly fly away) I don't want to put my ducks in danger.

Could zip ties also work? I've seen people use them but would they be able to stay on during harsh environments (like storms) and not get caught on anything?

EDIT:
Also I found a company that will put a tag with information on the leg band and I'd prefer to do that. Do you think the tag would get caught on something? (Since they will be in the pond and could possibly fly away) I don't want to put my ducks in danger.
Zip ties could work. I’ve used them on my ducklings until I can tell them apart. Should be just fine in harsh weather. You’ll just want to make sure they’re the perfect tightness, not too loose to get caught, not too tight to hurt or cut off circulation.

I got a good color variety on Amazon.

If using on growing ducklings you’ll want to check them every few days to make sure they aren’t getting tight.

D6ACF3AB-0390-4364-8848-34727BD80078.jpeg

441B699A-1E5F-4759-807C-077A7CEE963A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom