Leg Injury Inquiry

Dsauce91

Chirping
Aug 27, 2020
I have an adult female Pekin duck that’s been limping a bit today. I’ve never noticed it before. I picked her to inspect and I didn’t see any sort of injury, blood, sore, anything. I’m worried she may have tripped and injured her leg as she’s fairly clumsy (way more than the others). Is it possible for her to sprain a leg? Or if she broke a leg, what are the ways to tell or move forward? When I was inspecting the leg, she didn’t wince when I touched or squeezed the area.
Thanks

you'd definitely be able to tell easily if she broke a leg. that kinda injury swells a lot in any animal. she could have sprained it or pulled a muscle. like mentioned above, sh will likely only need to be kept at rest. maybe in a small pen or dog crate for a day or more.

Thank you both for your answers. She’s been eating, drinking, swimming and everything. I only notice it when she tries to walk. Hopefully with some rest she’ll be ok, but I just wanted to be sure.
Hip is totally an option as she took a weird tumble the other night. Could’ve sprained that area or pulled a muscle so I’ll keep an eye on her.
Thanks!

Heavyweight breeds like Pekins, frequently do suffer from strains and sprains often by tripping over things or getting their legs caught in objects. There are several other conditions that can cause lameness, but if it happened very suddenly it's most likely an injury of sorts.

Try to keep her in a soft padded area where she can't injure the leg as easily and consider administering B vitamins for leg health, and make sure she has access to cool clean deep water. Let us know how she gets along.

Back
Top Bottom