Leg out of joint

St_Gall

Chirping
Jul 22, 2022
We have a young brahmalorp that appears to have both legs out of joint. I noticed this about an hour ago. the joint right where the "pants" end reaches to the ground with every step.

We previously have had a bird have one leg out of joint twice before. The first died after being attacked by a rooster, the second we euthanized.

We plan to isolate the injured chicken and see how she is in a few days, but I'm also looking for info on why this keeps happening. Any insight is welcome.

Here's a photo

Attachments

• IMG_20230404_144316727.jpg
    IMG_20230404_144316727.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Videos much be uploaded to YouTube or similar site. Pictures would be helpful. Have you ever noticed the legs being knock kneed or bowlegged in appearance?

Videos much be uploaded to YouTube or similar site. Pictures would be helpful. Have you ever noticed the legs being knock kneed or bowlegged in appearance?
I haven't. The three incidences have been three different breeds/ages. This is the only one we hatched ourselves.

Do you suspect that a rooster has hurt her? Hard to know if she has injured joints, leg bone deformities such as varus or valgus where the tendons have possibly ruptured, or a riboflavin deficiency. It won’t hurt to treat with some human vitamin b complex 1/2 tablet given orally, or crushed into a bit of food or water. Here is some info on leg bone deformities:
https://www.researchgate.net/public..._of_the_Intertarsal_Joint_in_Broiler_Chickens

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...ctious-skeletal-disorders-in-poultry-broilers

Of course, I would separate her for her protection. What diet are the chickens fed, and we’re they vaccinated for Mareks?

Do you suspect that a rooster has hurt her? Hard to know if she has injured joints, leg bone deformities such as varus or valgus where the tendons have possibly ruptured, or a riboflavin deficiency. It won’t hurt to treat with some human vitamin b complex 1/2 tablet given orally, or crushed into a bit of food or water. Here is some info on leg bone deformities:
https://www.researchgate.net/public..._of_the_Intertarsal_Joint_in_Broiler_Chickens

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...ctious-skeletal-disorders-in-poultry-broilers

Of course, I would separate her for her protection. What diet are the chickens fed, and we’re they vaccinated for Mareks?
Pretty sure it wasn't the rooster, but possibly an older hen did.

Planning to separate her shortly.

We're considering Marek's. Would it be common to see the same injury repeated with Marek's?

Yours can still move around some, that's a good sign.

I had a meat bird (Cornish Cross) whose legs gave out and sat on his hocks like this. For a bit it looked like he could get around, I isolated him, but then later realized he couldn't move around any more to get to the food and water on the other side of the cage. So keep an eye on that. I ended up placing him right next to both a horizontal nipple waterer and a flat trough of feed, and he was fine for a day or so until I was able to process him (CX don't get better if this happens to them, but yours might). For CX, their bodies sometimes get too big for their legs to handle, but that's not what's happening here. Just wanted to warn you to keep an eye on her mobility.

Yours can still move around some, that's a good sign.

I had a meat bird (Cornish Cross) whose legs gave out and sat on his hocks like this. For a bit it looked like he could get around, I isolated him, but then later realized he couldn't move around any more to get to the food and water on the other side of the cage. So keep an eye on that. I ended up placing him right next to both a horizontal nipple waterer and a flat trough of feed, and he was fine for a day or so until I was able to process him (CX don't get better if this happens to them, but yours might). For CX, their bodies sometimes get too big for their legs to handle, but that's not what's happening here. Just wanted to warn you to keep an eye on her mobility.
Thank you, this is helpful

Back
Top Bottom