Leg paralysis / head / falling over / balance

Sophia12003

Chirping
Jan 5, 2014
Hey,
Help needed please!
Pamsa is a polish white type cockerel 25 weeks old. I’m thinking he’s either been hit in the head by a brother or sister OR could it be mereks??! Panicking majorly.
He falls to the side and flops out flat. Tips forwards / backwards. Eating, crowing, good poos. Flaps his wings and crows but then will stumble sideways etc. The head shaking is excessive to any normal chicks - I know they don’t like speaking music etc but anything and everything makes him shake it. I’ve a attached a link to the video of this (loud music to make him do it) and also the heavy walking / balance in the other. Could it have been a stroke or nerve damage or does it look like something else? Any opinion welcome :) x

head

Walking

Pamsa is a polish white type cockerel 25 weeks old. I’m thinking he’s either been hit in the head by a brother or sister OR could it be mereks??!
It would be hard to know if it's Marek's or not without testing.

Possibly a good peck on the head. I would treat with vitamin therapy to see if that makes a difference.

400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex once a day. Give him some eggs to help with the uptake of E.
Wet feed would also be good to give.

Hopefully you will see improvement with supportive care, he's handsome:)

He doesn’t look too bad walking on the slick floor. The head shaking could be from new fathers growing in, having mites or lice, or sometimes a symptom of ear or respiratory infection. I would look him over well for lice or mites on his skin under his belly and around his neck, look for any mucus in his nostrils or beak, or any swelling or gunk from his ears. Make sure that he is getting enough to eat and drink.

He doesn’t look too bad walking on the slick floor. The head shaking could be from new fathers growing in, having mites or lice, or sometimes a symptom of ear or respiratory infection. I would look him over well for lice or mites on his skin under his belly and around his neck, look for any mucus in his nostrils or beak, or any swelling or gunk from his ears. Make sure that he is getting enough to eat and drink.
He weirdly enough walked very well there, he’s usually more toppling sideways, hard to explain. Checked ears and all looked clear, will apply some spot on invectimin Incase of mites but have checked over, looks clear and good skin etc. Thank you!

It would be hard to know if it's Marek's or not without testing.

Possibly a good peck on the head. I would treat with vitamin therapy to see if that makes a difference.

400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex once a day. Give him some eggs to help with the uptake of E.
Wet feed would also be good to give.

Hopefully you will see improvement with supportive care, he's handsome:)

t

Thank you, I have vitimins in as I have a little frizzle polish cockerel who is deficient. asked at my vets regards mereks check but sounds like government labs only that test for it, not sure how quick that can be arranged. I’m really hoping it isn’t that but either way he’s acting very strange :(

Back
Top Bottom