Leghorns! Tell me what you know

Mine aren't as in-your-face friendly as my Dorkings, but they are definitely not lacking in personality. They're fun to watch and lay a lot of eggs. Personality-wise, my roo is super. He protects his hens, calls them to eat, is nice to them and me, and woke everybody last December when the neighbor's place was on fire. They're nice chickens. But keep a top on your run, they do know how to fly. (edited due to typos).

My leghorn is the absolute best! She is my favorite, and by far has the most personality.
My chickens are pets, and they free range all day, so I'm not sure how they would deal with coop confinement. Mine isn't flighty and probably the closest too a lap chicken, she is super smart and she also gets along nicely with all of my other chickens, including my blind one(But she doesn't take crap from bully hens or our leghorn rooster). My parents favorite thing is that she lays an egg everyday, even without artificial light. All around a great chicken, I would totally recommend adding some next year!

I have 5 white leghorns and 2 silver. They are all friendly but all very flighty. None will sit in your lap or chase you but they will come running for treats with no problem. I live in the south so I don't know how well they would do in the cold but they have large combs that would probably need to be protected from frost bite. My white ones lay large to extra large eggs, some with double yolks every now and then. They lay almost everyday. The silver ones just started laying and lay small white eggs about the size of my silkie eggs. I don't know if they will be as good as egg lays but their beauty makes up for it. They are all smaller birds so don't consume as much feed as larger breeds, Mine stay in the coop/run until noon and then I let them out to free range until roosting time. I have kept them locked up in their 12 X 20 covered enclosure that has perches, swings and obstacles with no issues of anxiety.

Back
Top Bottom