Lethargic hen / elephant ear plant

beachbunny76

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2022
So I'm aware elephant ear plants are toxic to chickens. Well my neighbor has them and their seed keeps coming into my yard so I pluck them as soon as I see them shoot up. However, I missed one and let my girls free range the day before yesterday. I saw the plant after I let them free range and saw a leaf or two was nibbled on. Coincidentally, the next day I noticed a hen acting slightly lethargic but thought maybe she was just chilling. Today she is standing around in the slight penguin stance, not eating, drinking or foraging as usual. Just in a corner. She is about 5 months old. All other flockmates are fine. Is it possible she may have nibbled on that plant and is now not feeling well? If it is the plant, is there anything I can do to help her?

If it's not the plant, would you suspect it's either internal parasites or coccidosis? Something else?

They were recently dewormed (a little over a week ago). I am due in the next few days for the 2nd round of dewormer. The only reason I dewormed is because I found a single worm, what looked to be a roundworm right outside the pop door of the coop. It was not in poop. I thought it was very odd. I've not dealt with parasites before. But her stool is normal (no blood, no off color or texture).

I don't believe she is egg bound as she is pooping. ...but I am tempted to give her an epsom soak anyway. Thoughts?

I know I'm throwing a lot out here and it's like throwing a dart in the dark but I'm open to thoughts/input. Thank you in advance!

Oh also have you been watching her crop? Is it full at night and empty in the morning? Is there a foul odor coming from her mouth?

Look in her mouth, yes, and see if you see any yellow or white lesions, which can indicate Thrush or Canker. If not, it's possible that she has coccidiosis. I would doubt that she has poisoning from elephant ear; I suppose it's possible. We've had elephant ear plants here in summer a lot of times, and I never noticed our birds showing any interest in it. They seem to have a pretty good idea what they can eat and what they can't, although of course there are exceptions. I personally would hold off on the toxin flush until you eliminate other possible causes. What kind of dewormer are you using? You should be using a broad spectrum dewormer such as Levasol or Valbazen, because otherwise, it will not kill all the possible worms your birds have. You can't see Capillary worms in their droppings, and Capillary worms kill if not treated. . Also, you should separate her from the flock, and put her in a hospital pen, dog crate rabbit cage, or something. She can be close enough to hear and/ or see the flock, that will keep her calmer and she's probably not contagious via airborne. You can give her Amprolium for coccidiosis at the same time she is on the dewormer and it's available in feedstores as Corid. Make sure she continues to eat and drink as much as you can. Scrambled eggs, chopped up grapes, yogurt mixed with their crumbles, canned catfood, are all options that are tempting to sick chickens. Or whatever she likes that you can get her to eat! Applesauce with cinnamon in it, mixed in their crumbles, is attractive to them too. If you have a vet that will do a fecal float for you (most will) that's the best way to see what is going on. Here it's around 18.00.

Oh also have you been watching her crop? Is it full at night and empty in the morning? Is there a foul odor coming from her mouth?
Thank you for this info. Unfortunately she passed last night :( I'm devasted....haven't had a loss in a very long time. I now suspect she may have been eggbound as she was at the age to start. I am considering a necropsy at this point.

Look in her mouth, yes, and see if you see any yellow or white lesions, which can indicate Thrush or Canker. If not, it's possible that she has coccidiosis. I would doubt that she has poisoning from elephant ear; I suppose it's possible. We've had elephant ear plants here in summer a lot of times, and I never noticed our birds showing any interest in it. They seem to have a pretty good idea what they can eat and what they can't, although of course there are exceptions. I personally would hold off on the toxin flush until you eliminate other possible causes. What kind of dewormer are you using? You should be using a broad spectrum dewormer such as Levasol or Valbazen, because otherwise, it will not kill all the possible worms your birds have. You can't see Capillary worms in their droppings, and Capillary worms kill if not treated. . Also, you should separate her from the flock, and put her in a hospital pen, dog crate rabbit cage, or something. She can be close enough to hear and/ or see the flock, that will keep her calmer and she's probably not contagious via airborne. You can give her Amprolium for coccidiosis at the same time she is on the dewormer and it's available in feedstores as Corid. Make sure she continues to eat and drink as much as you can. Scrambled eggs, chopped up grapes, yogurt mixed with their crumbles, canned catfood, are all options that are tempting to sick chickens. Or whatever she likes that you can get her to eat! Applesauce with cinnamon in it, mixed in their crumbles, is attractive to them too. If you have a vet that will do a fecal float for you (most will) that's the best way to see what is going on. Here it's around 18.00.
Thank you for this info. Unfortunately she passed last night :( I'm devasted....haven't had a loss in a very long time. I now suspect she may have been eggbound as she was at the age to start. I am considering a necropsy at this point.

Im sorry. Thats the downside ofchicken keeping. If you can get a necropsy please share if you can

Back
Top Bottom