Light in coop

Penelope59

Chirping
Jun 29, 2022
I’m a newbie with raising chickens. I have a flock of 9 young hens. One started laying a week ago- 3 could start any day now. My question is: when the time changes in Georgia, it will get dark by 6:00pm. Should I put a light on a timer in the coop to give them extra light? If they were a lot older, I would not worry about the light. But, being new layers, I don’t want them to stop, Your expert opinions would help!!

I have a light in my coop but for a different reason. I make sure that they are drawn inside the coop when it starts getting dark outside because they free range. They will be in which ever place if lighter because they can't see in the dark. So my light (which is a chandelier😎 lol ) goes on in late afternoon, gets them in there and situated and then I can see when I go out for lock up and shut it off at lock up. I have not noticed that the light increases egg laying.

I’m a newbie with raising chickens. I have a flock of 9 young hens. One started laying a week ago- 3 could start any day now. My question is: when the time changes in Georgia, it will get dark by 6:00pm. Should I put a light on a timer in the coop to give them extra light? If they were a lot older, I would not worry about the light. But, being new layers, I don’t want them to stop, Your expert opinions would help!!
Just because the clocks change, it doesn't change the actual length of the day.
That happens all on it's own, it is ever changing.

They should lay pretty decent over the winter due to it being their first year-though some breeds aren't as great (my Polish did not lay at all their first winter but everyone else did). You can add a light if you want-it is really a personal choice I feel. I do not offer light during the winter in the coop as I want my ladies to have that natural time off to recoup and their body focus on keeping them warm over making eggs.

They should lay pretty decent over the winter due to it being their first year-though some breeds aren't as great (my Polish did not lay at all their first winter but everyone else did). You can add a light if you want-it is really a personal choice I feel. I do not offer light during the winter in the coop as I want my ladies to have that natural time off to recoup and their body focus on keeping them warm over making eggs.
Thank you! I’m thinking I won’t use a light either and do everything naturally.

Back
Top Bottom