Lights in coop to deter predators?

pekincochin12

Songster
Apr 8, 2020
So I've recently heard about people using non-heat lights in their coops because they deter predators? Is this true? We put one in our coop when the weather got warmer, since they didn't need the heat lamp anymore, but I'm worried about messing with laying cycles now that the days are longer. They also go in much easier with a light. Is there any harm to keeping a light on, and does anyone know if it would possibly turn predators away? The coop is fully secure, but you can never be too careful.

A light in your coop that is on all the time will mess with their laying cycle. Although I have one inside... its rarely used other than in winter when I dont get to chores before sundown. If you want a light to deter anything.... put it outside your coop with a motion detector on it. That way, when its tripped, the lights will come on.
Even in winter... when most will naturally take a break.... it's good to let them have that break. Use as much natural light as possible.... and try not to use much artificial.

A light in your coop that is on all the time will mess with their laying cycle. Although I have one inside... its rarely used other than in winter when I dont get to chores before sundown. If you want a light to deter anything.... put it outside your coop with a motion detector on it. That way, when its tripped, the lights will come on.
Even in winter... when most will naturally take a break.... it's good to let them have that break. Use as much natural light as possible.... and try not to use much artificial.
Thank you! There are motion sensor lights outside the coop already. The light comes out tomorrow! :)

I have motion sensor lights outside my coop. It gives me light if I need to check on them at night, and also gives me a heads up if I see them go on unexpectedly. However, based on trail came footage, they don't seem to do much to deter the predators. It might startle them at first, but the predators seem to get used to it pretty quick.

I have been using lights at night. A single low output light that is red does not disrupt diel cycle for chickens, with exception of immature birds. The lights enable the chickens to see predators at night they would not otherwise see. The when chickens see an owl or mammalian predator come in, then the chickens produce alarm calls well before the predator even tries to grab at someone. In the past I was the one that reacted to the alarm calls that could be heard either through open bed room window or with baby monitor. I would then slip on flashlite and weapon to see what was up. Now the dogs react to same messaging and promptly run the 150 yards or better to see bad guy off before bad guy even touched a chicken.

Immature chickens have will consume night flying insects attracted by lite through much of the night. For almost four months of year, insects coming in make up a noticeable portion of what the birds eat. Light color impacts types of insects coming in.

I have nightlights on in my coop. They are 1 watt LED light bulbs that give off 11 watts, not bright. I leave them on 24/7/365. I have not had any issues with the birds not laying. I have had motion lights up in the past and the predators would set them off now and then and not seem to be affected by them. Maybe a motion light that has an audible alarm might work.

Back
Top Bottom