Limping Chicken -updated vet thinks it’s Mareks

Rocky86

Songster
May 23, 2022
Utah
Hey everyone, hopefully someone can give me some tips or suggestions!

One of my girls has been limping/wobbly when she walks.

I noticed it 2 days ago and brought her inside. She can put wait on it but has a hard time pivoting to the side and that’s when she gets wobbly and loses her balance.

She also seems to have an issue with bringing her leg forward so she kind of drags it forward.

I was unsure if it was an egg bound issue, so gave her a warm bath and did check for an egg and didn’t feel anything.

She is drinking eating acting normal otherwise.

My assumption is she did something when she jumped down from the perch in the coop. My theory is my husband didn’t put enough bedding down last coop change less than a week ago and she landed on a wood bracing on the base potentially.

I have palpated can’t find where exactly the injury is, could it just be a sprain?

I am going to probably place a splint on her I just wanted everyone’s feedback!

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hey everyone, hopefully someone can give me some tips or suggestions!

One of my girls has been limping/wobbly when she walks.

I noticed it 2 days ago and brought her inside. She can put wait on it but has a hard time pivoting to the side and that’s when she gets wobbly and loses her balance.

I was unsure if it was an egg bound issue, so gave her a warm bath and did check for an egg and didn’t feel anything.

She is drinking eating acting normal otherwise.

My assumption is she did something when she jumped down from the perch in the coop. My theory is my husband didn’t put enough bedding down last coop change less than a week ago and she landed on a wood bracing on the base potentially.

I have palpated can’t find where exactly the injury is, could it just be a sprain?

I am going to probably place a splint on her I just wanted everyone’s feedback!

Thank you!
It could be a sprain.
What is her diet?
They get pellets, scratch, fruits and veggies and bugs a 1-2x times a week.

She is defecating, some smaller than normal ones and not as much frequency as I would expect over the last few days. Haven’t noticed any cecum poo either?

Any other thoughts? Definitely the hip area. I am moving her to a smaller kennel as she is in a bigger pop up run and I think she has over done it as it seems to be a bit more a problem for her to bring her leg forward. She paces of course when she wants to come out and is trying to be too active still.

Well, she progressively got worse. I took her to the vet. They’re going to go ahead and run x-rays on her right now but he really thinks that it’s Mareks. I’m at a loss for words and absolutely heartbroken.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom