Limping hen. Help please!

Karilynn624

Hatching
Jun 20, 2022
Screenshot_20231207_004545_Gallery.jpg

This sweet girl, started tucking her right wing back last week. Now she's walking with a big limp and won't stand with both feet. I don't see any sores or wounds on her. She's eating and drinking. Any recommendations please?

Is she hopping on her left leg keeping the right leg up? Or is she putting the right leg down and is is seemingly numb? Her right leg looks up in the picture. How old is she? It might be good to confine her near food and water and keep watching her. A sprain or injury could make it hard to get around and find enough to eat and drink. If she is young, Mareks could be a possibility, but holding up the leg seems more like an injury.

Is she hopping on her left leg keeping the right leg up? Or is she putting the right leg down and is is seemingly numb? Her right leg looks up in the picture. How old is she? It might be good to confine her near food and water and keep watching her. A sprain or injury could make it hard to get around and find enough to eat and drink. If she is young, Mareks could be a possibility, but holding up the leg seems more like an injury.
Thank you for replying! She's 20 months old. She walks normal on her left foot. When she's standing in one place she holds the right foot up. When she walks, she'll stretch the right foot way out, and then place weight on it very briefly to bring the left foot forward.

This is how far forward she stretches it, to get a step forward. Sorry I'm screenshoting a video, because I was unable to load the video on here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231207_045235_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231207_045235_Gallery.jpg
    664.9 KB · Views: 2
I would confine her then, since it may be an injury. A wire dog crate with food and water, and in sight of her flock would be best. Look for any swelling, green bruising, or redness of the leg. How high are your roosts? Do you have a rooster?

Videos must be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here. She is high stepping. My rooster with arthritis did that. If you haven’t added any new birds to your flock recently, then Mareks would be less likely.

Videos must be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here. She is high stepping. My rooster with arthritis did that. If you haven’t added any new birds to your flock recently, then Mareks would be less likely.
No roosters. No new chickens for 14 months. Our highest roosting bars is about 4 feet. I'll confine her for a bit. I also read to feed her Vitamin C. Do you know much about that? Or how much she should have daily? Thank you again! This is our first flock, and our first injury.

If you can get human vitamin B (or Sper B) complex with C it is very good for leg issues. 1/4-1/2 tablet daily can be crushed into some egg or food.

Back
Top Bottom