Liquid noticed while candling egg at day 15????

Peppercorngal

Crowing
6 Years
Feb 5, 2018
Feather Falls, CA
I have two broody hens and candled their eggs today, which is day 15. I'm not the best at candling as my light is not the best. They looked good to me until I noticed when I tipped them a bit that it's quite liquidy. (I know, that's not a word, but you get it right?) There are two eggs with one broody and one with the other that seem to have a lot of liquid, does that mean they died? I have fans in my coops for these summer days, but it has been up to 106 the past week. I can't take a photo as I only have two hands and am alone. Any thoughts????

I do hope someone responds, I am too new to be of mich help, but same thing happened with my broody's last batch. And there were some stinky ones. None were developing and had to be discarded. There was a dog attack in the pen that caused Mama great stress and she left the nest for several hours. I suspect in my case, that was the cause.

I have two broody hens and candled their eggs today, which is day 15. I'm not the best at candling as my light is not the best. They looked good to me until I noticed when I tipped them a bit that it's quite liquidy. (I know, that's not a word, but you get it right?) There are two eggs with one broody and one with the other that seem to have a lot of liquid, does that mean they died? I have fans in my coops for these summer days, but it has been up to 106 the past week. I can't take a photo as I only have two hands and am alone. Any thoughts????
Do you mean there was a lot of liquid inside the egg? It could just be the egg whites, do they look like they are at the right stage of development? The most important things are blood veins and embryonic movement. If you see either, the babies are alive. Good luck with the hatch.
Screenshot_20230707-191733~2.png

Do you mean there was a lot of liquid inside the egg? It could just be the egg whites, do they look like they are at the right stage of development? The most important things are blood veins and embryonic movement. If you see either, the babies are alive. Good luck with the hatch.View attachment 3568753
The development looks more like day 19. In a couple I do see the embryo and veins and it's alive. In one, I think it's a gonner, total liquid without any life that I can see. Again, my candler light is not very good, I think I will take the super liquidy one away, but leave the rest. Hatch day is next Tuesday but development looks further and we may get hatch before. Thanks for your reply.

I do hope someone responds, I am too new to be of mich help, but same thing happened with my broody's last batch. And there were some stinky ones. None were developing and had to be discarded. There was a dog attack in the pen that caused Mama great stress and she left the nest for several hours. I suspect in my case, that was the cause.
Thanks for trying to answer. One egg is obviously just liquid now, and gone. Others show liquid, but embryo is moving and veins are showing. I will hold off on those. Hatch could be sooner than I think, due next Tuesday, but looking more like day 19! Nothing happening here, a quiet on the chicken front! I have one broody that hatched 4 eggs 2 days ago, they are fine! I have one hen that is happy anyway!

Molly & chicks.jpg

The development looks more like day 19. In a couple I do see the embryo and veins and it's alive. In one, I think it's a gonner, total liquid without any life that I can see. Again, my candler light is not very good, I think I will take the super liquidy one away, but leave the rest. Hatch day is next Tuesday but development looks further and we may get hatch before. Thanks for your reply.
Are they bantams? Small chicken breeds hatch and develop quicker. I agree, take the one egg out. Fingers crossed for a successful hatch!

Are they bantams? Small chicken breeds hatch and develop quicker. I agree, take the one egg out. Fingers crossed for a successful hatch!
No, not bantams. They were fertile eggs I got from a gal that said they are to be Lavender Orpingtons. Guaranteed fertile!! I was right, they were no good. Lost 2 so far. I took a video, but forget how to post it! Thanks for your reply!!

20230707_101827.jpg 20230707_151836.jpg

No, not bantams. They were fertile eggs I got from a gal that said they are to be Lavender Orpingtons. Guaranteed fertile!! I was right, they were no good. Lost 2 so far. I took a video, but forget how to post it! Thanks for your reply!!

View attachment 3570006View attachment 3570009
Yeah they don't seem to every have developed. You can't ever guarantee 100 percent fertility. Hoping the others hatch

Back
Top Bottom