Lockdown candling question

oncebefore

Chirping
Mar 10, 2023
Hi, I'm a brand new member here.
I'm experimenting with incubating chicken eggs with my own DIY incubator. First time incubating chicken eggs and with my own device is definitely exciting and at times filled with doubt.
Since this forum has a lot of experienced chicken owners who gone through many egg incubations, I figured it's the right place to ask my weird question. It's about what to look for upon candling an egg going into lockdown. I put a sketch below. Is the translucent part on the small end the yolk to be absorbed?

Attachments

• IMG-2535.jpg
    IMG-2535.jpg
    448.1 KB · Views: 11
Usually the egg is all dark as it’s full of chick so it’s possible that the chick has just moved at the time of candling. Good pics here in this article for comparison ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ion-through-incubation-of-chicken-eggs.47879/

Good luck with your eggs :fl
Thanks! yeah, I could see the movements while candling.
Would candling during lockdown hurt the chicks inside? I'm just too curious to resist the temptation of knowing their individual development by the day!

A quick candle occasionally during lockdown will not hurt. You want to avoid having the incubator opened too often or to long because it is important to keep the humidity up.

Are you on or past day 18?
Past:rolleyes:. On day 19.5. Since my DIY incubator is still air and I'm afraid of high temperature spikes so I decided to err on the low side in case anything would go wrong. The temperature throughout the incubation is 99-101F. I think it at least delay the development by 2-3 days. Hope the chicks can make it.

A quick candle occasionally during lockdown will not hurt. You want to avoid having the incubator opened too often or to long because it is important to keep the humidity up.
Oh thanks! I need this kind of confirmation. I'm trying my best to do the things right way while still satisfying my anxious curiosity:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom