Lockdown rocking eggs

gimmie birdies

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Feb 12, 2013
Eastern WA
I just wanted to mention this, because many people don't know about setting eggs on cord rope as in this picture...
IMG_4123.JPG

This is a good way to keep hatching eggs from becoming soccer balls from the other chicks. Also, you can set an egg on the rope so the fat end is up slightly. My other thought on this rope is it keeps an egg still so that it doesn't rock. If the egg rocks the chick cannot get a good peck at the shell, and may give up.

Before setting eggs at all (especially if you have a still air-hand turn incubator,) Just know the wire floor has a curve That may not be readly seeable to the eye. Place the wire floor concave down.

incubato.PNG

If you set your wire on the floor of the incubator, and if you put an egg in the center of incubator, and it roll to the walls of your incubator, you need to flip the floor wire so the egg when set in the center will stay in the center. If you have the rope in incubator, the at least if you put the floor wire in the wrong way, the eggs will not roll in that manner. Never let any egg touch the walls of the incubator. (Eggs should never touch the incubator walls, and if you have so many eggs in an incubator and they are touching the walls, you have too many eggs in there.) On day 18 if you had rope there the whole time, take out eggs to candle, and take out the rope, add water to troughs, then place the rope back, and then eggs on rope. You don't want to get water on the rope, or the eggs.

Another thing during lockdown, don't put wet paper towels near any eggs, and especially not under eggs.

Remember to try not to help eggs hatch. An egg peeping doesn't need help, and egg rocking and only a first pip, none of those are ready to come out. Sometimes after day 19 they get real quiet before hatching, that is okay too.

P.S.
Try not to ever add a cold egg/s to eggs that have been incubating. If they have to go in same incubator, try making a DIY incubator to heat it up. If you must add and egg place it far from the other hatching eggs, and mark it so you know it will hatch later. (If you must add an egg/s, don't do it after day 5.)

If you are reading this at lockdown, good luck!

Last edited:
I just wanted to mention this, because many people don't know about setting eggs on cord rope as in this picture...View attachment 3687280
This is a good way to keep hatching eggs from becoming soccer balls from the other chicks. Also, you can set an egg on the rope so the fat end is up slightly. My other thought on this rope is it keeps an egg still so that it doesn't rock. If the egg rocks the chick cannot get a good peck at the shell, and may give up.

Before setting eggs at all (especially if you have a still air-hand turn incubator,) Just know the wire floor has a curve That may not be readly seeable to the eye. Place the wire floor concave down. If you set your wire on the floor of the incubator, and if you put an egg in the center of incubator, and it roll to the walls of your incubator, you need to flip the floor wire so the egg when set in the center will stay in the center. If you have the rope in incubator, the at least if you put the floor wire in the wrong way, the eggs will not roll in that manner. Never let any egg touch the walls of the incubator. (Eggs should never touch the incubator walls, and if you have so many eggs in an incubator and they are touching the walls, you have too many eggs in there.) On day 18 if you had rope there the whole time, take out eggs to candle, and take out the rope, add water to troughs, then place the rope back, and then eggs on rope. You don't want to get water on the rope, or the eggs.

Another thing during lockdown, don't put wet paper towels near any eggs, and especially not under eggs.

Remember to try not to help eggs hatch. An egg peeping doesn't need help, and egg rocking and only a first pip, none of those are ready to come out. Sometimes after day 19 they get real quiet before hatching, that is okay too.

P.S.
Try not to ever add a cold egg/s to eggs that have been incubating. If they have to go in same incubator, try making a DIY incubator to heat it up. If you must add and egg place it far from the other hatching eggs, and mark it so you know it will hatch later. (If you must add an egg/s, don't do it after day 5.)

This idea of using rope is a brilliant idea! I will never do another hatch without using this method! 😊

I got the idea from Fox Fire Farms.

As far as the floor wire, I was a lady setting up her still air incubator on youtube, and she had the wire in wrong, the eggs rolled away from the center, and she didn't notice.

I just wanted to mention this, because many people don't know about setting eggs on cord rope as in this picture...View attachment 3687280

Before setting eggs at all (especially if you have a still air-hand turn incubator,) Just know the wire floor has a curve That may not be readly seeable to the eye. Place the wire floor concave down.

View attachment 3687311

If you set your wire on the floor of the incubator, and if you put an egg in the center of incubator, and it roll to the walls of your incubator, you need to flip the floor wire so the egg when set in the center will stay in the center. If you have the rope in incubator, the at least if you put the floor wire in the wrong way, the eggs will not roll in that manner. Never let any egg touch the walls of the incubator. (Eggs should never touch the incubator walls, and if you have so many eggs in an incubator and they are touching the walls, you have too many eggs in there.) On day 18 if you had rope there the whole time, take out eggs to candle, and take out the rope, add water to troughs, then place the rope back, and then eggs on rope. You don't want to get water on the rope, or the eggs.

P.S.

I'm literally hatching right now and wishing I had done this. The first one out is extra energetic.

Back
Top Bottom