Logistics: bantam & standard co-housing

Castlewood

Songster
Apr 22, 2020
Austin, Texas
My Coop
My Coop
I've seen a few threads addressing "can you keep bantams & standards together" etc. That is not what I'm asking here!

By the miracles (??) of chicken math, we've ended up with a bantam cochin frizzle. She's about 10 or so weeks old now, and is currently hanging out in a little "starter" coop with a 10 week old standard size companion we also brought home. We use this little coop to quarantine new chickens before integration, but ultimately Miss Priscilla Frizzle will be our one & only bantam, living in the same coop/run with a flock of mixed breed standards.

My question is HOW do we modify our setup to accommodate her little size!? We have feeding tubes (like upside down candy canes) and currently we're using hanging waterers, although plan to re-vamp & re-install our drip watering system. There's no way she can reach any of these things right now with these ridiculous tiny legs. And then of course there's the roost...not to mention the ramp to get into the hen house where the roost bars are. Because she's a frizz she can't fly...

We were NOT thinking clearly in the fog of chickenlandia....

Before I call our source to express regret & give her back this adorable ball of fluff, I wonder if anyone might have some logistic specifics to share about how you've modified your setup to accommodate both standards & tinies in one coop. Did you build steps? A separate feeding/watering system? HELP.

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200823191522819_COVER.jpg

Our starter flock was three standards and a bantam Cochin. She got picked on a lot, but nothing else has been an issue. Our roosting bar is 18” up, and she does fine. In fact, she can get on the run’s 5 foot high roof. Oddly enough, we rehomed our alpha chicken, and now this bantam rules the roost.

Our starter flock was three standards and a bantam Cochin. She got picked on a lot, but nothing else has been an issue. Our roosting bar is 18” up, and she does fine. In fact, she can get on the run’s 5 foot high roof. Oddly enough, we rehomed our alpha chicken, and now this bantam rules the roost.
I've heard this can happen! What is your setup re: feed and watering systems to ensure both your bantam and standards can reach?

Back
Top Bottom