Lone keet wants to roost 8 feet high

Playfulroost

Chirping
Aug 16, 2020
Southeast Colorado
I have 5 guineas 2 years old, 3 females and 2 males. They are free range but know where home is. They have been roosting above the open pen where they were raised.
One of the females was missing for a month now returned with one keet.
It has been raised in the wild by its mom. She flew at me once when I approached the keet, but I could tell it was a bluff.
The pen now floods every time it rains. I'm considering trying to improve the drainage and housing the guinea mama and baby there.
The 2 week old keet tried to fly to the top of the pen last night. But it's made of 2 inch wire so the keet will fall through. I am afraid the keet will fall to its death. It's so cute to see the struggle to be tiny and desire to be all grown up. Would probably not be so bad on the keet if it had siblings.
Any suggestions for helping with this? The guinea mama was obviously torn between the need to roost with her clan and the needs of her baby.
I have raised guinea keets under momma's before, but they laid eggs and hatched in the chicken house, which is under construction.

I have 5 guineas 2 years old, 3 females and 2 males. They are free range but know where home is. They have been roosting above the open pen where they were raised.
One of the females was missing for a month now returned with one keet.
It has been raised in the wild by its mom. She flew at me once when I approached the keet, but I could tell it was a bluff.
The pen now floods every time it rains. I'm considering trying to improve the drainage and housing the guinea mama and baby there.
The 2 week old keet tried to fly to the top of the pen last night. But it's made of 2 inch wire so the keet will fall through. I am afraid the keet will fall to its death. It's so cute to see the struggle to be tiny and desire to be all grown up. Would probably not be so bad on the keet if it had siblings.
Any suggestions for helping with this? The guinea mama was obviously torn between the need to roost with her clan and the needs of her baby.
I have raised guinea keets under momma's before, but they laid eggs and hatched in the chicken house, which is under construction.
Congratulations on the new keet! Two weeks is about the age that our just started to roost. At four weeks, they still have trouble getting to and staying on the roost. When they fall off, they do flutter down and break their fall. One month ago, we sold a set of keets to a buyer from Craigslist. That buyer called 10 days later to tell us that all keets had died when their pen flooded... I guess based on that, roosting with the adults sounds better than staying alone in the pen.... are there other options? Can you keep the keet somewhere warm and safe, like a dog kennel indoors, during the night? Two weeks old is also young to be keeping warm if mom is not cuddling...

It was lightning and thunder at dusk so I went inside my house but returned later to check on all my birds, and saw that the mama had roosted with her flock and no sign of the keet. I looked for the keet but at night mama and keet always sneak off to a secret location. I have tried to follow them but they always get away in tall grass. The keet might have gone there on its own. I am now concerned about a predator getting the keet. The secret location must be dry because it flooded rain the first night she brought the keet to me, and it survived. The baby keet squeaks the entire time when it's in my yard. I'm pretty sure it's a female. Believe me I have tried to catch it to keep it safe, but raising one keet alone in the house would be awful for the keet and for me--it is never quiet except at night. I will try to fix the roost so keet can get up with the adults yet make it difficult for a cat or dog. If I have good luck with no predators this year, maybe next year this mama will be more experienced and my lavender guineas can start a larger family. I'm not positive of the age of the keet, it's about 2 weeks to 4 weeks. It has all its wing feathers and most other feathers except for the top of its striped head.

Back
Top Bottom