Lonely Chicken

ChickenCatsandKids

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2020
My current flock includes 3 Rhode Island Red hens and 7 pullets we got as day-old chicks at the end of March. We have just integrated them, and for the most part, they are getting along. A pecking order is established. They eat together. They share a run but are still sleeping in separate hen houses at night. (We are constructing a coop big enough for everyone.)

Two nights ago my chicken lover son discovered a pullet down the street, by the main crossroads, near a gas station. She is very friendly. It is near 100 degrees here, and there is no water source, so we worried about her. We had hoped she would make her way back to her coop. Yesterday afternoon, she was still there, so we brought her home. She is a really sweet, friendly chick. We have her in quarantine, in the shade, and have given her food and water. We have posted on Nextdoor and Facebook, trying to find her home, but are willing to adopt her if we don't.

I worry about her being lonely during her quarantine. She is younger/smaller (though, not by much I think) than our pullets. Should I put one of my other pullets in quarantine with her (I know that kind of defeats the purpose)? How can I keep her from being lonely? How can I help with integrating her into the flock in a month?

Thanks!

Don't take the chance of sacrificing one of your pullets. I would maintain the quarantine at least for 14 days. If you have her in a separate crate, after then place her where she can see and hear the others and then do the see/don't touch for a week or so. You'll probably see her integrate with the young ones first. The older hens May have a harder time accepting her.

Back
Top Bottom