Lonely female Bobwhite - can I mate her with other breeds of Quail?

Jerank

Chirping
Mar 12, 2020
As the title states, I've got a lone female Bobwhite quail whose mate abandoned her for another female. She can't go back with the others, and I'm keeping her as a pet, but she's clearly desperate for another partner. I barely have to put my hand near her and she goes into a mating position, and she calls for a mate every morning.

I don't have access to any male Bobwhites, but I know people who have extra Cotornix, Pharaoh, Tuxedo and Golden quail males. Would any of those be a suitable partner for her?

Edit: They also have male Chinese Painted Quail.

Last edited:
When you say partner then do you mean another quail? You could try putting her with females. Coturnix would be better than Chinese painted quails for sure. I’m not sure though because bobwhites are usually more flighty but if she’s desperate than she might fit in an stuff. 😊

When you say partner then do you mean another quail? You could try putting her with females. Coturnix would be better than Chinese painted quails for sure. I’m not sure though because bobwhites are usually more flighty but if she’s desperate than she might fit in an stuff. 😊

Yes, definitely mean another quail. She's a somewhat flighty bird, but completely hand-tame. In fact at the moment she gets very upset if I leave her alone and even flies after me in the house if I leave my door open.

Back
Top Bottom