Long beak/ long qwik

Hello,
New Hen owner here.
My 9 week Easter Egger has a longer beak than the others. I’ve noticed her having a harder time eating and she is considerably smaller than the others. I read that I should trim the beak with slippers and a file but the qwik is almost as long as the beak itself. I went in very slightly to trim and it already drew a little blood which I treated with a corn starch paste. I ground up feed with some water and she is pecking it at the bowl but I need help on what to do please? I don’t want to hurt her but I know this beak is too long.

I want to thank you for committing to Lucy's wellbeing. With minor adjustments to her care, Lucy can live a long and happy life. My EE rooster turned three this year, and his beak is severely deformed.

68280293_795529362194_1546435200064421888_n.jpg

I believe Lucy's tongue has collapsed. It happens with the muscles that attach it to her mouth don't develop or aren't strong enough to hold it in place. Given how short her lower mandible is, I'm not surprised. It's also not a big deal. Hawke's has collapsed, too. It does present challenges, though, when tube or torpedo feeding.

Personally, I syringe feed my CB. It's just easier and then I know he's getting enough. I make his mash - just so he remembers how to self-feed. I use a special feed since it's hard to grind traditional feed enough so it fits through an oral syringe.

Regarding feeding a mash, when my CB eats, he prefers a soupier mash in a deep bowl. He makes an absolute mess of himself and his surroundings. Be sure to check her crop after she's eaten. If it's hard like an overinflated balloon, she's getting too much air. It should feel squishy - like a deflating balloon.

I don't believe her beak needs trimming. To me, it looks longer because of the parrot-shape and how it looks compared to her lower mandible. I personally would not stress too much about it right now.

Thanks for the mention, @Wyorp Rock !

Sounds like her beak doesn’t need to be trimmed back just yet. She has a case of crossbeak for sure, but I would wait 2-4 more weeks before worrying too much about it, unless she stops eating, gets under weight, or anything more extreme. If you ever need any help with trimming, I would be more than happy to show/tell you where, how, and when to do it. She’s gorgeous! Crossbeaks are the best!

Back
Top Bottom