Long Story but Chickens are dying and I need help been ongoing for 6 weeks

BackWoodsLiving

Hatching
Nov 20, 2016
We've only had a few backyard chickens for 5 years and had no issues till October. We both have retired and we thought we would get some rare breed chickens to raise and see if we could sell eggs to hatch come spring. In Sept. we ordered a few of several different breeds and some hatching eggs over a 4 week period. I had a trip planned to see my daughter.

I get an overseas call a few days later and he tells me that a chick had died. I didn't think too much about it until the next day when he calls and tells me 3 more had died. I started asking him a ton of questions and start googling away. I called him back and told him I thought we may have coccidious and told him to get corid and start giving it to them. He told me that he did and was giving it to them. ...........longest 2 weeks but after a week he calls and says he had another chick dye and had moved some of the older chicks to the coop. Not much I can do but ask if anything's going on ect and google. (Thank for this site.)

I call him and told him if they had corid and were still getting sick maybe we needed to try and antibotic and to find someplace that could do a necropsy. Ag department took 2 chicks that died the next morning but he started them on antibotics and I am coming home in a 2 days now and will get it figured out. The day I am flying home my father died. His brother came to feed the chickens and he met me where my dad lived for the furneral. We got home 5 days later and his brother told us that the chicks were still dying. We still haven't heard anything back on necropsy.

Now the chickens are getting runny eyes on one side and that side of their head is swelling up. No coughing no heavy breathing but dying about a day after this is starting. Find out his brother wasn't giving them anitbotics. We start antibotics and gave it to them for 12 days and they seem to do better for a week then start dying again. We called the Ag guy and ask him to necropsy on 4 more birds. He collected them and called about the first 2 and they had come back inconclusive. That same day when I am getting them water I see blood on top the water feeder. I google all the photos but there is no doubt I am sure they have coccidious. I start them all back on corid and the sick ones that are in different area I gave both corid and antibotics together. (one gallon container with 1 gallon dosage of both added)

The next day the Ag guy sends a text that we have coccidious to treat 5 days with higher dosage. I am one day ahead there. By day 2 the chicks stop dying and I am excited that things are getting better. Except I kept telling my hubby what about the ones getting runny eyes what is going on. We finish 6 days of corid and some of the chicks are still looking pretty bad although not dying. We got a vitamin electrolytes mix and start them on this. I started them on hard boiled eggs and a little yogurt over the next couple days but we find about 5 really sick looking chicks in the coops with runny eyes again.

We called the Ag department again and they told us that they probably have secondary infections from the coccidious and to start them on antibotics. There is no vet in our rural area that works with chickens. The Ag guy in our area is on vacation till next week. The chickens are not coughing or sneezing or have mucus anywhere but their eyes. They are not getting better but not worse either. I found out just the other day when I had hubby put them on Corid the first time he only treated the ones in one brooder not all of them also when he gave them the corid and antibotics both he didn't make new dosages every day he'd wait till they ran out when he made it.

Yes I am upset that someone can't read directions, but these are my questions
1) Can it be IB without coughing or sneezing?
2) Can it be coryza without an ordor?
3) After all this time could they need a longer dose of Corid? I still have a few chickens that don't look like they are putting on any weight?
4) Vitamin Def?

Last edited:
To answer and eliminate possible diseases i will answer the questions

1.No

2.Possibly

3.A seven day treatment time usually does it

4.This would be unlikely as you gave them vitamins

My personal advice would be to get them started on Tylan 50 Watery eyes sounds like a respiratory infection.And yes you need to treat all non infected and infected cocci chicks.

Last edited:
They are on oxytetracycline right now but I ordered Denaguard and it will probably be here tomorrow will this be just as good? I plan to have them tested asap, but if it's respiratory doesn't that mean we will never be able to sell hatching eggs?

Back
Top Bottom