Look what showed up this morning!

BarnyardChaos

Free Ranging
7 Years
Apr 23, 2017
Richmond, MO
1665410744937.png
This is mama Corona's first baby!!!! As far as I can tell, mama and baby are looking healthy and whole. It's up on its feet and I estimate less than an hour old. Hasn't started nursing yet, and mama still needs to pass the afterbirth.... but I'll be watching closely to confirm both events. Looks like a little bull calf maybe.
Hooray!!!

Calving time is always stressful for me. Haven't had to pull a calf yet, cross fingers I never have to. I've got another 1st time heifer due now as well - she's keeping to herself (that's a sign) but I don't see any evidence of bagging up nor tail drop. Yet.

Expect more pictures as I can get them!

oh he's so cute!!!!!!!🥰 love it!
you aren't going to name him common cold are you? or 19? joke because of his mom's name which I assume is named after a crown, not after our pandimic :oops:
Mom was born in April 2020, during the pandemic. So she's named after Covid. ;)
If we name the baby, it will likely be something like T-bone or Sir Loin or Chuck. Yep, he's intended for the freezer in about 16-18 months.

View attachment 3286652This is mama Corona's first baby!!!! As far as I can tell, mama and baby are looking healthy and whole. It's up on its feet and I estimate less than an hour old. Hasn't started nursing yet, and mama still needs to pass the afterbirth.... but I'll be watching closely to confirm both events. Looks like a little bull calf maybe.
Hooray!!!

Calving time is always stressful for me. Haven't had to pull a calf yet, cross fingers I never have to. I've got another 1st time heifer due now as well - she's keeping to herself (that's a sign) but I don't see any evidence of bagging up nor tail drop. Yet.

Expect more pictures as I can get them!
What a cutie, give it a hug!!! Have fun

Grandma Blackie was a beefmaster/angus cross, and one BIG girl at 1,776 pounds. She fought mastitis twice and I had to bottle-feed both of those calves (2021 and 2022). Sadly, we had to part with her. But Corona's sire, and the new baby's sire, are cousins from a registered Black Angus herd. So the genes are fantastic, calving is easy, breeds are hardy, and they produce a lot of meat.

Back
Top Bottom