looking for dual purpose birds near upstate NY

hensonly

Songster
11 Years
May 15, 2008
upstate NY
Hi, all,

This post is going to be a little vague, because I'm not totally set on which breed I want. I'm hoping some of you breeders out there can help - if only I can find you! Here's the deal:

I need to replace my laying flock soon (hatchery sex links), and would like to try a dual purpose bird this time. I would like to hatch my own birds from my own flock, for both eggs and meat. I'm open to suggestions on breed, I'm sort of leaning toward orpingtons or maybe austrolorps, because they are the ones I've actually seen who look big enough for meat. I'm sure there are others.

I'd prefer a breed whose hens will brood; I really don't want to do the incubator thing. I'd condsider getting a few hens of a second breed that has a high rate of broodiness, just for the purpose if necessary.

I plan to go to the local fairs and try to talk to people, but the times that poultry is judged don't always make it possible for me to be there then.

So does anyone within perhaps an hour or two of Albany, NY area have or know of anyone who breeds a chicken that might suit my needs? sorry to be so vague, but it's really more that I'm not too picky, I just want birds that are good for dual purpose, and have a good chance of raising the next generation...I'm sure there are several breeds that might do the trick.

Any suggestions appriciated, thanks in advance!

Hi Hensonly!
I know your post was from a few years ago, but I stumbled on it while searching for upstate NY hatcheries and breeders. I am wondering if you had any luck finding anyone local. We live out in Rensselaer County and I would like to find someone local to get a few chicks from. We have 4 Barred Rocks arriving next month but it would be nice to add a few other breeds to the group.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom