Looking for info on these hatcheries for certain birds......

imthedude

Songster
9 Years
Mar 9, 2010
CO
Buff orps
Barred, White, and Partridge Rocks
RIR's
Delawares

Thinking of ordering from either:
McMurray
Sandhill Preservation Center
Privett (local feeder's supply can order directly from Privett year around).

I would appreciate any info on any of these breeds from any of the above hatcheries. Since this is an egg flock, I'm interested in rate of lay, longevity of birds, temperament, etc.

Thanks in advance folks!
smile.png

Last edited:
I can not say anything about those particular breeds but I have ordered from Mcmurray several times and I have always been 100% satisfied . Also the local 4-h club orders from them each year and have only had positive feedback . I would definately reccomend McMurray hatcheries

I know that this hatchery is not on your list , but I got Buff orpingtons, White and barred rocks, and RIRs from Ideal, they have turned out to be great birds. Mine are very friendly, and great layers. I wished I could find my camera cable so I could shoe you some pics!

Most everything from Murray McMurray that we have ever ordered has been good laying stock, unless you get into the ornamental type birds then they don't lay as well as your common everyday type chickens.
Currently I have 3 EE pullets from Privett via our local Tractor Supply Company, they are still fairly young but are laying about every couple of days, you have to take into accoubnt that it is winter time and the lower temps, they use more energy staying warm, so I think that is pretty good.
One hatchery you do not have on your list that most of mine came from is Cackle they are in Missouri. They have in my opinion the best looking stock of any that I have ordered, again accounting for cold weather, 6 White Rocks about 4 to 5 eggs a week, 4 Lakenvelder hens about 3 to 4 eggs per week, and the balance of my EE's 6, another 4 to six eggs.

I'm going to start keep records on their laying in January and especially in the spring time to see how they really are laying. Over all I think all that I have are fairly good layers and I think that any of the hatcheries you have listed will make fairly good layers for you.

I have all 3 kinds of Rocks, and Delawares, from Privett (through local feed stores). The White Rock was the first to lay, the Barred not far behind, and the Delawares have started laying even though it is now midwinter.

Not sure if the hatchery or the store was at fault, but I ordered 2 Marans and got Partridge Rocks instead. The PR roo is one spectacular bird.

The Delawares were not very true to type, except one really good rooster. Two out of six cockerels, and two out of four pullets, turned out pure white. Still nice birds though, and the cockerels made decent roasters - nearly 5 lb carcasses at 18 weeks. The Dels have the best personality of all the breeds we got, hands-down. It was hard to kill some of those cockerels. The one we kept is turing out great.
(https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5311615#p5311615 - message #8957 for pics)

Meyer Hatchery also carries all those birds. We had barred rocks from Meyer and they were healthy and friendly. A man down the road owns them now and they're still laying a few eggs a week even though they're 3 years old now.

I currently have partridge rocks and delawares from McMurray hatchery. Both of them are very good layers and are pretty friendly. I once had RIR but they were not the friendliest chickens when I consider all the other breeds I have had. New Hampshires are really good layers and friendly. Most of my hens loves to be picked up.

Back
Top Bottom