Loss of feathers and a black substance on feathers

Backacres

Hatching
Jan 7, 2024
Had a 2 yr old leghorn die suddenly. She had a loss of feathers on her back, which I thought were from being pecked or molting or so I thought. Yesterday I applied Peck No More. Then this evening have found her dead In a laying box. Did not appear as if she had been sick. She has a black substance that I noticed yesterday, on some of the feathers that are left on her back, it looks like a tar substance but it’s not sticky. I have no idea what this might be. There is nothing in the pen that could secrete a substance like this. Note the pens 12 + years old. Never had any other unexplained deaths.
IMG_2110.jpeg

Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry to hear about your hen.

I agree, it looks like she was being plucked, mounted and/or mated whether by a rooster or the other hens.

Hard to tell what the black substance is, my guess is debris/dirt and dried blood/ooze from injury, but you would have to examine the body more closely to be sure.

Blood was my first thought too. Could not find a wound and also not sure that this would cause her death. Plus it was really dark black. Though once others smell or taste blood they won’t stop. The fortunate thing is she was reaching her egg laying end. Another good thing is no other hens (30+-) show any of these signs.

Back
Top Bottom