Lost a drake last night

cdunfee

Hatching
Aug 13, 2021
I raised 2 ducks and a chicken together last April...female and female. They bonded and loved the sapphire gem Tucker...a racoon got Tucker a month ago and just this morning another got my drake..Daffy. I also have 8 chickens...they have been outside together for months now and I do believe they enjoy eachother. My question is, as I've read waterfowl needs a mate...can I keep my female duck with the chickens or would that be cruel? I have an option to get an Indian runner duck or a call duck....what do you think?

I raised 2 ducks and a chicken together last April...female and female. They bonded and loved the sapphire gem Tucker...a racoon got Tucker a month ago and just this morning another got my drake..Daffy. I also have 8 chickens...they have been outside together for months now and I do believe they enjoy eachother. My question is, as I've read waterfowl needs a mate...can I keep my female duck with the chickens or would that be cruel? I have an option to get an Indian runner duck or a call duck....what do you think?
If the duck was raised with the chickens she should be fine.
What breed of ducks do you raise? I prefer runners but that is my personal preference.

I'm very sorry for your losses.

I very much agree with Miss Lydia, please do fix your predator problem first. Fully enclose your run area with hardware cloth (on the top, too, or make a roof) and install a skirt as well.

I have only female ducks and they do well together. I prefer only females so I don't have to worry about overmating. I have heard that some ducks can be happy with only chickens, but I assume this is not common, you'll know your bird best.

Back
Top Bottom