Lost one, about to lose another.

shmccarthy

Songster
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
Michigan
I had to quarantine a cockerel because he ha bloody poop. By the time I could figure out it was him, it was already too late and I found him dying this morning, we are putting him out of his misery. I went to go feed the rest of them and one of my other cockerels got pecked so badly by one of the others he has a lesion on the back of his neck. There is a chunk of skin completely missing and his neck is exposed. He is now in a different quarantine. I have no idea what to put on it or what to do. He is acting completely normal, eating and chirping, but he has blood on his wings. His droppings are watery too. :/

What should I put on this??

Poop may be watery due to stress, but I have no idea... An owl attacked my hen and she had a good chunk missing from her neck. She acted normal, I just gave her antibiotics, vitamins & probiotics. She is also the head honcho, so no one pecked her. Maybe blu kote sprayed on it? Or just keep him separated until he's completely healed. Here are the pics of my hen's neck. She has fully recovered.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...n-neck-gaping-holes-updates-pic-heavy-graphic

I ended getting a white gauze type strip and put anti bacterial ointment on it and wrapped his entire neck lightly and taped it. He's eating and drinking with it on but I can tell he doesn't like it that much. He's separated from the others and in a large dog kennel in my garage. I'm glad I caught it when I did, the pictures don't do much justice for the wound. It was bigger than a quarter! Poor guy was pretty scared, once he calmed down his droppings looked normal again.

Back
Top Bottom