Lotions, soaps, and stuff...

ThistleRidgeGA

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 25, 2013
Canton, Georgia U.S.A.
I thought I would try the quick goat's milk recipe online for homemade hand lotion. The recipe reads as follows:

1 cup of fresh or canned goat's milk
1/8 c. olive oil
1/8 c. vinegar

Mix well, and store in container. Add vinegar to keep longer.

I measured out [fresh] goat's milk. I measured out the oil. I mixed both together, as instructed. I added some vinegar, and I mixed as instructed. It was still liquid. I put it in a jar, as instructed, and popped it in the fridge (as suggested.) This morning? Still liquid with olive oil sitting on top :(

Has ANYONE had success with this [floats around the internet] recipe? Normally I get all of my oils and beeswax together to make it, but I wanted to whip something up quickly last night in a moment of boredom.

Who else makes their own lotions, soaps, etc.? We buy our goat's milk soap from a friend/farmer nearby as she has the goats, and I don't want to have to deal with NaOH.

Maybe try adding an emulsifier like egg yolk or soy lecithin? I would probably cook an egg yolk until it just starts to change, a la Honllandaise. You could probably do it in the microwave if you have a few eggs to experiment with, and I'm guessing if you're on this board you do.

When I want a good lotion without much brewing I usually just get a dab of coconut or olive oil out of the pantry and rub it in real good. I've even got my manly rancher SO using olive oil on his scalp to relieve dandruff, and after he washes it out he gets these beautiful curls ...
love.gif

You can add the goat's milk straight into a hot bath, maybe add a dab of honey, and soak for a while.

Maybe try adding an emulsifier like egg yolk or soy lecithin? I would probably cook an egg yolk until it just starts to change, a la Honllandaise. You could probably do it in the microwave if you have a few eggs to experiment with, and I'm guessing if you're on this board you do.

When I want a good lotion without much brewing I usually just get a dab of coconut or olive oil out of the pantry and rub it in real good. I've even got my manly rancher SO using olive oil on his scalp to relieve dandruff, and after he washes it out he gets these beautiful curls ...
love.gif

You can add the goat's milk straight into a hot bath, maybe add a dab of honey, and soak for a while.
I use coconut oil too. I really like it and what could be easier than just scooping some out to the jar and rubbing it in.

The emulsifier would work to blend the oil and milk together, but it wouldn't work to thicken the actual lotion :)

I just had some extra goat's milk to finagle around with so I thought I would whip together the quick lotion version. I normally have almond oil and such on hand to make "real" lotion with it.

A bath would be nice....if we had a bath tub, but we only have shower stall units in our home.

Hi,

I was looking for an answer to this same question. I love experiementing with my essential oils but I always use a pre-made lotion base. Since I have never made my own lotion base, I was looking for the easiest recipe possible.

I am going to try it this weekend, but I am going to add a step from another recipe I found that started with a pre-made base. They suggested put a half cup of rolled oats in a blender and blend until you have a fine powder. The directions say blend at the highest setting, stopping every 30 seconds to scrape the sides.

You then put the oatmeal into the lotion base, cover and let it sit for 12 hours. This should thicken the mixture to nice consistency and oatmeal adds moisturizing properties as well. Note: If you are going to add essential oils, add them to the milk mixture before adding the oats.

Fingers crossed this works for both of us!

If you are still interested, this is what I came up with after some additional experimenting last night...

1/2 cup goat's milk
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp vinegar
1 Tbsp liquid lecithin
1 Tbsp rolled oats
essential oils of choice

Put goat's milk and olive oil in blender, blend on low, briefly until mixed.
Add vinegar and essential oils, blend on low, briefly until mixed
Add liquid lecithin and oats, blend on medium for about 1 minute
Pour into a glass jar with a lid. Refrigerate for 12 hours.
Refrigerate to store.

*This is not a perfect recipe. It is not as thick as store-bought lotions or creams because it does not contain any wax or chemical emulsifiers. However, it does thicken up a bit and it is nice to use; I have some on my hands right now!

Back
Top Bottom