Low Energy Princess

I posted earlier this week about my hen being lethargic and sick. She was very near death when I brought her inside and I was worried because it was so sudden. I brought her inside and she’s since gotten a little better.

History: I found her Monday laying outside the coop with her head on the ground, unable to stand and panting. She was dewormed 2 weeks ago with fenbendazole and all my others are fine. She hatched in February so I’ve had her since then and while I do have a bully hen, they have enough access to food/water/space to prevent her from keeping the others away from nutrition. They’re on layer feed since I have laying hens, but also get a bit of scratch in the morning in the yard. Her crop doesn’t feel empty. Poops are normal. They were very watery when I brought her in Monday, but they were fine the next day. No discoloration or worms. Was given electrolytes and eggs and has recovered.

Now: She’s currently back outside in a look-but-don’t-touch pen in the yard with her own food and water, where she’ll stay until I feel better about her. I wouldn’t still be concerned normally, but she’s VERY low energy and is still breathing really deep. Not panting, and there’s no noise when she breathes. Wings are a little droopy and she just stands in one place. She eats, but not a lot at one time, is drinking plenty. Won’t stay on a perch, is laying in the grass instead. Seems weak still.

Thoughts?

How long has she been on layer feed? Does her crop have any food in it right now, and can you check to see if it empties by early tomorrow? I would try to offer some scrambled egg with some wet chicken feed to tempt her to eat some. Have you thought about treating her for possible coccidiosis with Corid or a sulfa antibiotic? Here is the OP’s other thread for those interested:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sick-lethargic-chicken.1589573/

I posted earlier this week about my hen being lethargic and sick. She was very near death when I brought her inside and I was worried because it was so sudden. I brought her inside and she’s since gotten a little better.

History: I found her Monday laying outside the coop with her head on the ground, unable to stand and panting. She was dewormed 2 weeks ago with fenbendazole and all my others are fine. She hatched in February so I’ve had her since then and while I do have a bully hen, they have enough access to food/water/space to prevent her from keeping the others away from nutrition. They’re on layer feed since I have laying hens, but also get a bit of scratch in the morning in the yard. Her crop doesn’t feel empty. Poops are normal. They were very watery when I brought her in Monday, but they were fine the next day. No discoloration or worms. Was given electrolytes and eggs and has recovered.

Now: She’s currently back outside in a look-but-don’t-touch pen in the yard with her own food and water, where she’ll stay until I feel better about her. I wouldn’t still be concerned normally, but she’s VERY low energy and is still breathing really deep. Not panting, and there’s no noise when she breathes. Wings are a little droopy and she just stands in one place. She eats, but not a lot at one time, is drinking plenty. Won’t stay on a perch, is laying in the grass instead. Seems weak still.

Thoughts?
Between the prior thread and this one, I see no preventative or treatment for coccidiosis.

It interrupts food absorption.

Back
Top Bottom