Lucy is MIA

Barb Root Hinkkanen

Songster
6 Years
Aug 19, 2017
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Our pretty girl, Lucy, a very happy RIR has gone missing. Her sister is still here. I feel pretty certain she is brooding somewhere. She did it once before, but, right by the house under a bush, so I was able to find her. She has been missing now for three days. We have sent out three search parties with no luck. They free range, but have never gone past sight of the house. That being said, we have not seen any predators in the three+ years she has been around. The area is pretty well protected.

For a couple of days prior, she was acting a little strange. She didn't want to leave the front porch or get away from me. She wouldn't even go into the coop at night. She has always been a very good layer. She was laying, then a couple of days with no eggs; then she was gone. I even went out with the bag of mealy worms and she didn't come. I thought I heard her but could not find her. There are lots of hiding areas and in the brush and around the yard. She is so close to the color of fallen leaves, we could be looking right at her.

We have been keeping water out where I think she may be and spread some food.

My question, concern, is, how long will she brood on unfertilized eggs? I know there is a possibility that something did happen to her; I just don't want to believe it.

Does anyone have any suggestions of where/how to look for a determined little lady who does not want to be found?

Our pretty girl, Lucy, a very happy RIR has gone missing. Her sister is still here. I feel pretty certain she is brooding somewhere. She did it once before, but, right by the house under a bush, so I -snip-
We have been keeping water out where I think she may be and spread some food.

My question, concern, is, how long will she brood on unfertilized eggs? I know there is a possibility that something did happen to her; I just don't want to believe it.

Does anyone have any suggestions of where/how to look for a determined little lady who does not want to be found?

We went through a very similar adventure with a Banty just a few weeks ago. My question was the same as yours: " How long will she sit on infertile eggs?"
Some folks suggested it might be a month, some said longer...
We found our girl, she was under burdock leaves, up against the house, sitting on 15 eggs. She was almost invisible...
If you are interested, you can read the saga here
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hidden-nests-a-solution-maybe.1255119/

good luck finding Lucy!

Back
Top Bottom