Ludwig is Trying!

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
I didn't get photos because it happened in less than half a minute while I had my hands full of a feeder and feed scoop but ....

I heard a commotion in the run, looked up, and saw Ludwig better than halfway mounted on Dumpling, the Brahma in my avatar. She was protesting, refusing to squat, and trying to run. He was trying to make contact while hen-surfing.

After a moment Ludwig jumped down.

Dumpling promptly turned and chased him around the feeder shelter -- giving him what-for the entire time.

She's always been reluctant to squat for me so I'm not surprised that, though she is done with her molt and reddening up like she *might* lay again soon (she's a poor layer, rarely doing better than 4 eggs a week and her eggs are modestly-sized and weirdly-round), she isn't accepting Ludwig. I don't know though if she simply doesn't intend to submit to anyone or if it's just that he's an upstart cockerel.

I'm glad to see Ludwig trying to mate and I'm glad to see that he's not being violent.

It was hilarious to see Dumpling chase him afterward and I wish I'd had a coop/run camera I could have caught it on.

Back
Top Bottom