Lump under wing?

mdsn

Chirping
Sep 25, 2020
Checking over our hens today and found our ISA Brown (1.5years) a bit under the weather, she's lost some weight and her comb is pale. On further inspection found this lump under her wing, it's soft and pliable. Do you think it's a tumor or cyst? Recommendations on what to do, no bird vets near us so we'll have to do it at home.

Attachments

• 20210917_171648.jpg
    20210917_171648.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 20210917_171653.jpg
    20210917_171653.jpg
    438.7 KB · Views: 26
Checking over our hens today and found our ISA Brown (1.5years) a bit under the weather, she's lost some weight and her comb is pale. On further inspection found this lump under her wing, it's soft and pliable. Do you think it's a tumor or cyst? Recommendations on what to do, no bird vets near us so we'll have to do it at home.
@Wyorp Rock :)

I'm not sure what would cause that. @Eggcessive may have some ideas.

You mention she's under the weather - do you notice if she's molting? When was her last egg?
I would make sure crop is emptying and encourage her to drink/eat. Electrolytes for a day may be helpful as well.

My chickens are all molting right now, and that can be a time where they are less active, eat less, and are standoffish. I would try to get her eating and drinking, and the electrolytes/vitamins or poultry NutriDrench could help give a boost. I give scrambled egg, tuna, and wet chicken feed to tempt them to it.

Lumps under the skin can be tumors or cysts, ingrown feather cysts, or fatty lipoid cysts. I would watch it to see if it is growing. Being soft, does it feel like air or fluid, or tissue?

We have separated her and keeping an eye on her to make sure she's eating and drinking enough, have added some electrolytes/vitamins and seems like she's eating and drinking plenty just watching her this morning.
Not sure about eggs as we just got back from a week away and had a friend collecting eggs and caring for them for us so will have to watch for those.
It doesn't look like it's grown, will keep an eye on it, it feels more like a soft fluid and is a bit pliable when I move it, she doesn't react at all to me poking and prodding it and just lets me examine.
Thanks so much for your help! Always seems like the only time I post on this page is when we have trouble haha

If she is eating, drinking, and not being picked on, I would keep her with her flock. Separation can cause anxiety. If you need to keep her separated, it can help to keep them in the coop or run near the others, inside a wire dog crate with food and water. Let us know how she gets along.

Separated her for a few hours yesterday just to ensure she was eating and drinking fine, she's scavenging and eating normally, tail and head are perked up just pale, and the other girls are leaving her alone so she's back in with them. Just monitoring for now, lump doesn't seem to have changed but definitely keeping a close eye on her

Unfortunately she deteriorated significantly and we lost her today, we will be sending her off for a necropsy to find out what was going on with her.
We did lose a hen to marek's last year and we aren't sure if she was vaccinated so thinking that could have been the cause...
Thanks again for all your help though, truly appreciated.

Unfortunately she deteriorated significantly and we lost her today, we will be sending her off for a necropsy to find out what was going on with her.
We did lose a hen to marek's last year and we aren't sure if she was vaccinated so thinking that could have been the cause...
Thanks again for all your help though, truly appreciated.
Sorry...Marek positive flocks may have issues year after year. :(

Sorry for your loss...I hate loosing birds...

Back
Top Bottom