Made my own feed

@Perris Even buying organic doesn’t preclude the possibility of unknowingly ingesting genetically edited plants. I suspect that the increased gluten intolerance in humans is a result of whatever was done with oats and wheat to increase pest/disease resistance and yield after the war, they probably pre soaked it with colchicine.
The following is from my grain suppliers website.

‘Many people prefer Spelt to ‘modern’ wheat because its DNA has not been changed by farming methods and it has a more extensive nutritional profile.
Some people who cannot tolerate wheat find spelt does not cause them problems because the gluten is water soluble and more easily broken down.’
It's also a matter of overdose. Modern wheat has up to 6x as much gluten as its ancestors. It was crossed with various wild grains to make a perfect wheat for modern agriculture.

Our digestive systems are not designed to handle that much. So a food that provides much of what we need, and used to be a staple, is now on the restricted list for many people.

It was crossed with various wild grains to make a perfect wheat for modern agriculture.
It’s wind pollinated so has always been crossed with its wild relatives, this wasn’t a problem until we started using colchicine to induce polyploidy in the 40s.

Last edited:
@U_Stormcrow, after reading some more I’ve adjusted removed and added some ingredients. I suspect I’ll still need to add oyster shell and seaweed for the methionine and calcium but no idea how much so I’d really appreciate your advice, I’ve also changed my plans for buttons and will be getting harlequin instead which shouldn’t change the ratios but I’ll need a new profile name so will make a new thread with the updated recipe and hope to see you there.
I'll have to add a few of those ingredients to my spreadsheet, and some of those protein numbers look high - as if they aren't corrected for moisture content. and while that only makes about a 10% difference +/- with dried grains, which are usually reduced to 10% water content or less, it makes a huge difference with things like fish, BSFL, and mealworms.

I'll also ignore the last half part, since that's both not a recipe, and because the combined ingredients in that half part total less than 1/80th the total recipe.

This weekend.

It also looks expensive.

Hi @U_Stormcrow I also ignored the last half a part of the ingredients for the same reason.
I’d love to know your opinion re. This recipe, it will be more expensive than standard pre mix but it’s all organic and gluten/oat free which is not commercially available here so not really comparable and I don’t expect my small flock of button quail to get through it very fast.
I got most of the protein ratios from the place I’m getting the grain, it could be higher than expected because it’s organic? The ratios for fish and bugs are from the Internet.
I want to do this for my quail..... A lady after my own heart.

Back
Top Bottom